Cool way to make leech patterns

brandon4455
brandon4455
so i was browsing some fly tying videos on youtube,mainly stillwater patterns to tie for an upcoming trip. i have one i had success with pretty steady but want to widen variety in my box. I came across this video on the Kaufmann mini leech, a pattern someone suggested i try while out on the stillwaters for some trout. It shows a pretty cool way to get a dubbing loop effect on a leech pattern without using a dubbing loop, trick is to not use too much dubbing and keep it sparse otherwise it will turn out way to bulky like the fly in the video. Not only does it just look a lot better but it provides more movement rather then a regularly dubbed body like on the micro leech i have been tying, don't think im tying it that way anymore. try it out,it will improve most any leech pattern im sure. FYI the fly in the video had way to much ice dub and should have been way more sparse. it took me a try or two to get the right amount but once i got it right the fly came out great.

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5odIrUa1RIM&feature=related

Brandon

brandon4455
brandon4455
forgot to mention, i have no idea why he adds a partridge feather on the fly.. i don't believe the original recipie for the kaufmann mini leech has a partridge feather.

B
Berg03
I really like that one brandon, I think ill tie some like that on Saturday, we can try some different colors and see what we like.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
brandon4455 said:
forgot to mention, i have no idea why he adds a partridge feather on the fly.. i don't believe the original recipie for the kaufmann mini leech has a partridge feather.

because soft hackle makes everything better - it's the fly tying equivalent to Bacon. He also mentioned in the video that it was his variant of the fly - meaning his interpretation. Ask 20 people to tie up a given fly pattern, you'll get 20 different takes - could be slight differences, could be fairly big ones. It's all good though.

This fly looks like it has the potential to be a steelhead killer in the right colors.

Reactions: Tribal16
brandon4455
brandon4455
i know partridge benefits patterns for the main part but i just don't see it doing good on a leech imitation. i guess it's just personal preference? anyways thanks for pointing that out didn't notice it was his own variation

T
Tribal16
i really like the clump dubbing technique. Ill have to try it sometime! thanks for the vid!

S
Sinkline
" it's the fly tying equivalent to Bacon"..., Perfectly said! :lol:

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
Tribal16 said:
i really like the clump dubbing technique. Ill have to try it sometime! thanks for the vid!

no prob! going to test my leech pattern but improved using this technique up at mercer.