Spinning reels.

O
Ozzieb
Hello all, I had a question about spinning reels. I know everyone has there favorite. But for my application and setup what do you guys think? I mostly float fish for steelies with a 10'9 rod with a pflueger president I have been happy with the reel and caught many steelies. But its a year old and cranks real rough now. Wanted to get a reel with more lifetime, but under 200.00 . Ideas? And new to the fourm.:)

18406ej
18406ej
Welcome to OFF! I have no doubt that many people will respond to your question with their own individual favorites, but I am willing to bet that a majority of votes will be for Shimano reels. Shimano makes quality reels at a price below $200 with a wide range of sizes and features available. Shimano also has a fair warranty and good availability of parts and service. I have mistreated my Shimano Stradic and Symetre reels for about 7 years and have never had any problems.

I don't know a lot about Pflueger reels, but one year sounds like a short service life for them. Could there be a cleaning or repair issue that could save you some money?

H
halibuthitman
My president lasted 4 years and at least 500+ salmon and steelhead. Welcome to the forum.. You are new here.. Right? Welcome-

O
Ozzieb
Uhmmm. My model is a 6735. Just rough on the retrieval
And noisy. Maybe its just a bad apple. As far as everything else on the reel I like. But
have nothing to compare it to. And thanks for the welcome.

H
Hawk
EJ is right. A little lube to the reel gears/bearings mite improve it significantly bro. :)

Welcome to the Family...

S
steelhead_stalkers
My last two steelhead reels were purchase for float fishing and I chose the Shimano Stradic CI4 for both. It was between that and the new Pflueger Patriarch. I ended up choosing the Shimano because it had a higher gear ratio for faster retrieve and a stronger better drag. You can always count on Shimanos being smooth forever. I really like the Patriarch and feel that it would be just as good a reel as the Shimano but only time will tell. Both reels are right around $200 and they are the lightest steelhead reels you can buy. Good luck.

C
colbypearson
I prefer using Shimano for bass fishing but i feel they make the best reels across the board, the symetre, saros & stradic are all good reels for under 200$

F
Fish a holic
You could head to your local fishing Pro shop, they usally offer reel repair and give you advice as far as what reels the guides have torchered.
I'm a Shimano guy myself for spinning rigs.
Welcome to OFF

S
sts slayer
a really good real for under 200 i would go with shimano sahara 2500 series it has lasted me about 2 years for steelhead and also has a really good drag system and holds a lot of line for the size and you can't beat the price it is $80 good luck.

O
Ozzieb
Thanks for the help. Will check out the reels. It was a good day on the rogue. 4 steelies.
Kept this guy. All on jigs and pink worms:dance:

R
Redbandman
I'm suprised to here of your issues with the Pflueger. I picked up a couple of limited production Maxx's a few years ago and have had great performance out of them.
They are a smaller size 25 & 30 for trout. But I've hauled in a load of 5+ # fish in fast water and they still run like the day I bought them. I fished a Stratic for years and when I had to replace it, the budget wasn't there for another and the Maxx's were only around $75 apeace. The things look and perform just like a Sratic. I do agree that maintenance is a must, infact just tonight I cleaned and lubed all of my reels.

C
colbypearson
Every Pflueger I have owned pooped out on me, but thats just my experience. I switched to Shimano and hope I wont ever have to change.

R
ryan808
I'd get a Daiwa Fuego, hands down on of the best reels under $300. Its on sale at tackle warehouse for $165. There really is a difference between a $200 reel and a $201 reel, find one in the $200+ range and you can't go wrong, the fuego was originally $300.

H
halibuthitman
Remember, unless it's a boat only rod and reel, all spin reels will poop out. Bank fishing rivers is the ultimate test and any spin reel will eventually die.

O
Ozzieb
halibuthitman said:
Remember, unless it's a boat only rod and reel, all spin reels will poop out. Bank fishing rivers is the ultimate test and any spin reel will eventually die.

Agree, it could of been the 8 salmon #20 last year. On it. I use a noodle ro
d and light gear. It could have affected it. Most likely.

L
Lamzy
I own two Hardy Grey reels with 6 extra spools and I just love them. They have enough heft to balance up to my 10 ft rods. The spools change rapidly so going from one line weight is a snap.
I have a couple of Phlugers but the Hardy Greys are the best.
KiltedBob

I miss posted. I was thinking fly reels. Sorry please disregard my fopah
KiltedBob

T
Tinker
colbypearson said:
Every Pflueger I have owned pooped out on me, but thats just my experience. I switched to Shimano and hope I wont ever have to change.

I have a couple of President XT's by Pflueger and the 6740XTX has been from salt- to fresh-water and back hundreds of times without as much as a hiccup.

The Shimao and Pflueger drag performance is considered to be the best in the business in the sub-$200 class. Drag isn't important to me, I rarely if ever use it because it causes so much line twist. I turn off the anti-reverse and back reel, and find that the Pflueger handles work better than the Shimano design for back-reeling...

I have a Shimano Symetre 2500 and don't find it a bit better - or worse - than my 2500-sized Pfluger Supreme MG, but the Pflueger cost me $20 less. IMHO, the Pflueger is overly bling-ed up and the Shimano is overly decorated with brand name and feature appliques. One leaves me feeling I'm in Bollywood and the other makes me a walking billboard.

C
colbypearson
Tinker said:
I have a couple of President XT's by Pflueger and the 6740XTX has been from salt- to fresh-water and back hundreds of times without as much as a hiccup.

The Shimao and Pflueger drag performance is considered to be the best in the business in the sub-$200 class. Drag isn't important to me, I rarely if ever use it because it causes so much line twist. I turn off the anti-reverse and back reel, and find that the Pflueger handles work better than the Shimano design for back-reeling...

I have a Shimano Symetre 2500 and don't find it a bit better - or worse - than my 2500-sized Pfluger Supreme MG, but the Pflueger cost me $20 less. IMHO, the Pflueger is overly bling-ed up and the Shimano is overly decorated with brand name and feature appliques. One leaves me feeling I'm in Bollywood and the other makes me a walking billboard.

I have had the President XT, and it was included in my "All my Pfluegers pooped out on me" statistic, maybe a bad egg.

That being said I haven't bought a reel other than shimano since 2008, and right now I'm at 100% satisfaction rate and still use all my original purposes.

I'm also tight with a couple guys who make a living fixing and working on reels, both of which favor shimano.
To each their own though :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Tinker said:
Drag isn't important to me, I rarely if ever use it because it causes so much line twist. I turn off the anti-reverse and back reel, and find that the Pflueger handles work better than the Shimano design for back-reeling...

I would love to see you back reel a steelhead without drag! :D

T
Tinker
steelhead_stalkers said:
I would love to see you back reel a steelhead without drag! :D

I've caught some pretty big, fighting fish without using the drag. But, if you followed my "Clueless is Port Orford" thread, you'll know I haven't had as much as a nibble from one of those beauties. Yet. :confused:

Good advice and point taken! Last thing I want is to finish my 10,000-cast initiation and then blow my first steelhead because my ego is writing checks I don't know how to cash. I might have to rethink my "strategy" and turn on the anti-reverse...

colbypearson said:
I have had the President XT, and it was included in my "All my Pfluegers pooped out on me" statistic, maybe a bad egg.

I believe that a big problem with the Pflueger President XT's is that it's nearly impossible to open them up to clean and change the gear lube/grease. I like those reels, and I've abused them mercilessly without problems, but one of them's going to fail me at the worst possible time. I just feel it.

I don't dislike Shimano reels and have never had a mechanical problem with the Symetre or the Saros I use. The one gripe I have with Shimano is that they spend outrageous amounts on sponsorships and advertising, IMHO, and recover those costs with the MSRP on their reels.

Gander Mountain has some of the old Shimano Symetre FJ 4000 reels in stock for $79. These are the all-metal version. I have the 2500FJ and it's a workhorse.

Last edited: