Your favorite method/ technique for springers?

B
Bouncinbottom
Ok, what is your personal favorite technique for catching springers? Why?

C
coyo7e
Met a guy at pretty much the closest hole I can reach from my house, today, and he only packs blue foxes with half-painted flashers in random neon colors. Pulled out a 15 lb chinook yesterday.

I need to get more spinners.

C
cobias
Spinners man. They are fun. And i dont have to deal with roe and re rigging crap all the time. This is a good year for spinners too.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
1. Drift fishing with corkie,yarn,and eggs
2. Spinners

J
Jordy
Hardware all the way this year. Last year we had some periods of high water that created some good bait fishing days but in the low water the aggression bit we has been much more productive.

R
rippin fish lips
Hardware!! 4s and 5s spinners. Red, White, Blue, Purple, green, black. Silver. Fish hard the first 3 hours of daylight. Spinners are great for this low clear water. Spoons too, never forget about a spoon, like i have the last couple years.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
With this low water, what size line are you using? Bumper on braid or just mono? I've been using about 4' of 12# mono bumper.

C
cobias
Im not keen on using braid for spinners. Even with a bumper. I have only hooked a couple on spinners over the years, but they slam it most of the time. You need some stretch. 10 lb maxima ultra green or 10lb Berkley xt . Straight to the swivel/spinner. Some may think you need more than 10lb for springers but 10lb max or berk xt is tough stuff yet it still casts well. Any heavier of mono and it will create a big downstream belly pulling your spinner off the bottom even if you free drift it. Id beware of posts that make you want to overthink things. This will be a 'low gear' year and im sure manufactures will want to gear people up. My buddy uses ghetto gear and hooks them on spinners often. Just dont cheese on line. max ult green or berk xt. And not berkley XL ! That stuff is too soft. casts well but breaks easy. I stupidly tried it and thats what i lost my last steelhead on.

J
Jordy
cobias said:
Im not keen on using braid for spinners. Even with a bumper. I have only hooked a couple on spinners over the years, but they slam it most of the time. You need some stretch. 10 lb maxima ultra green or 10lb Berkley xt . Straight to the swivel/spinner. Some may think you need more than 10lb for springers but 10lb max or berk xt is tough stuff yet it still casts well. Any heavier of mono and it will create a big downstream belly pulling your spinner off the bottom even if you free drift it. Id beware of posts that make you want to overthink things. This will be a 'low gear' year and im sure manufactures will want to gear people up. My buddy uses ghetto gear and hooks them on spinners often. Just dont cheese on line. max ult green or berk xt. And not berkley XL ! That stuff is too soft. casts well but breaks easy. I stupidly tried it and thats what i lost my last steelhead on.
My best advice I can give someone is to use braid with a bumper and long rod with a soft tip and a medium light load up.

I am staring down the barrel of my K fish and braid with hardware is a big part of my arsenal.

Mono is a great material but needs to be replaced every few fish or trips, whichever comes first. A good rod has as much shock absorption as a cast length of mono and a spool of braid will last you 50 hours or more (or much more if you flip it like I do).

jamisonace
jamisonace
rippin fish lips said:
Hardware!! 4s and 5s spinners. Red, White, Blue, Purple, green, black. Silver. Fish hard the first 3 hours of daylight. Spinners are great for this low clear water. Spoons too, never forget about a spoon, like i have the last couple years.
How'd you do at the pressure hole last week? I think I saw you on the rock as I floated by.

Couldn't remember your name so I didn't yell hi from the boat.

It's Tanner, right?

C
coyo7e
Jordy said:
My best advice I can give someone is to use braid with a bumper and long rod with a soft tip and a medium light load up.

I am staring down the barrel of my K fish and braid with hardware is a big part of my arsenal.

Mono is a great material but needs to be replaced every few fish or trips, whichever comes first. A good rod has as much shock absorption as a cast length of mono and a spool of braid will last you 50 hours or more (or much more if you flip it like I do).
I like braid because it stays on top of the water better. I keep a reel with braid in my trunk, in case I end up shoulder to shoulder.. ;)

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Cobias 10 lb mono seems light for springers, what rod do you have that on? Springer hardware rod for me 8'6" 12-25lb. Want to have enough rod to turn a big fish.

H
Hookset
If I am bank fishing then I use hardware or corkie and yarn. I am in my drift boat then I like to use diver and bait.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
How'd you do at the pressure hole last week? I think I saw you on the rock as I floated by.

Couldn't remember your name so I didn't yell hi from the boat.

It's Tanner, right?

Yessir. And i didn't to good. No one did. it was dead

R
rippin fish lips
Hooked Up said:
Cobias 10 lb mono seems light for springers, what rod do you have that on? Springer hardware rod for me 8'6" 12-25lb. Want to have enough rod to turn a big fish.

Nope 10lb mono is plenty enough to turn a 13 or 15lb fish. It's the brand of line and the type of rod you have that will matter the most. And most importantly how you play the fish. Try some Berkley Big game or Maxima. Suffix elite is another good one too.

jamisonace
jamisonace
rippin fish lips said:
Nope 10lb mono is plenty enough to turn a 13 or 15lb fish. It's the brand of line and the type of rod you have that will matter the most. And most importantly how you play the fish. Try some Berkley Big game or Maxima. Suffix elite is another good one too.
I prefer 20. They aren't line shy so I don't take the chance.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
I prefer 20. They aren't line shy so I don't take the chance.

For hardware on our rivers, there is no need to go above 15lb test. this year, there is no reason to go over12lb test. Yes teath and gill plates and rocks acan make it tuff, but thats part of the game haha! I broke one off on 10lb the other day but thats because i had no choice but to put the wood to that sucker, then he came to the top and started doing that coho "death roll" and snap. i was also down to the last 60 yards of my worn out briddle line haha. Spinners and sponns, bank or boat. never need to go above 15lb.

Whjen runnind divers and bait or plugs, Yeah go heavier because your putting it right in there face, therefore the line is the last thing they will see.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm pretty much with Rippin. Right now, I'm spooled with Spiderwire Supermono (I think that's what it's called) in 8#. It wasn't my first choice, but somehow got a knot deep in the spool, and it's what was on the boat, so I went with it -- and landed a 10# springer shortly thereafter. I keep hearing "they're not line-shy," but I always seem to hook more fishing light, and rarely break them OFF.

There's also the issue of the thinner the line, the quicker the lure sinks... there's that.

And also like Rippin, when pulling plugs, go heavy -- the lure is backing down, and the fish isn't going to see the line, and it won't feel it until it's too late. And it's nice when your favorite plug comes home with you. My plug rod is 30# main, 25# leader, which I'll use in a trib or in the Columbia rigged up about the same.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You broke one of with ten the other day. Enough said.

E
eat, sleep, fish
If you're breaking fish off, that's a fish that should have been landed. There's no reason to use such light line when fishing for salmon even in low clear water. I exclusively use 65# braid with 20# leaders. It's all about getting a good presentation in front of the fish. I've even upsized my baits this year, and have watched as others have downsized and then wonder why the fishing is so tough. Don't over think it. These fish aren't actively feeding, and instead are reacting to the smell/flash/wiggle.