Finally got the skunk OFF

B
BamaDan
After months of lost fish, working entirely too much at two jobs, and who knows how many days getting skunked, I finally got back on the board with this pretty little summer hen from the Sandy.

I fished several hours, covered a ton of water and found her towards the end of my day on a spinner lying up in a riffle. Got to love those "3 o'clock fish". Seems to be when I find all my summers.

Also I found this 2 1/2-3" piece of soapstone maybe? in its stomach. My guess is she hit it for the same reason they'll hit a dull colored spoon on a sunny day. I'll chalk it up as a lesson for the future. Anybody seen anything like that before?

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
C
ChezJfrey
Nice bright fish!

You give up on that bead-dogging technique that you used to hook up the last time I saw you? <sigh>In 'my spot' no less, too....jerk! LOL

If so, you are looking to be on the same path I wound up on; I find almost all my summers in those riffles and get 'em with small hardware :) Now I tend to gravitate toward all the shallow riffles/broken water in the sun, reinforcing/perpetuating the cycle to always use that approach, because that's where I keep catching them, so I know they are there!

Good job.

B
BamaDan
Not giving up on it but summer success=covering water and not much beats hardware when it comes to fishing a lot of holes (as you're far more aware than most). Plus now that I'm learning how to properly fish them there's the whole confidence thing. So far so good.

E
eugene1
Good going!

I read somewhere that steelhead are eating a bunch of plastic stuff out in the ocean. They can't digest it so it just stay in them.

C
ChezJfrey
On a sidenote, for what it's worth, I didn't tell you that back then, you broke a nice little streak I had going...

See, I'm not really the helpful, generous guy when I meet up and fish with someone. On the contrary, it's a self-serving and devious plot with ulterior motive. When I fish with someone new, the usual scenario is we make some casts, and a short while later, I hook up one or two fish and say, "See, that's how you do it here." I almost always hook up fish when I go with someone new, so if I've been dry a week or so, just make a 'meet up' plan with someone new. It worked when I went out with Modest Man a few years ago and hooked a fish within 5 casts, Big Boy (kind of twice when we went out the first time, then later to 'show' my fly fishing tips and I hooked/landed 2 steelhead in 40 minutes, effectively doubling my lifetime-steel-on-the-fly catch at the time, LOL), Mikeee. And in the case of Native Fisher, he is the one that took me to a few spots and I flailed around pathetically breaking some float rigs and rod tips, but it didn't matter...in a day, I hooked up two fish and go something like, "So, is that how you do it?" Hehehehehe.

It works almost every time and you broke it when I didn't nab anything and you hooked the bead fish. Foiled! Drat!

Anyway, I've been on fishing hiatus for a month or so, but have finally gotten back on the horse and went out a few times. No catch yet, so I've got tentative plans in the near future to 'help' someone out...you know who you are, out there on OFF...now you know the REAL plan, LOL :)

E
eugene1
Good stuff, Chez!

ChezJfrey said:
On a sidenote, for what it's worth, I didn't tell you that back then, you broke a nice little streak I had going...

See, I'm not really the helpful, generous guy when I meet up and fish with someone. On the contrary, it's a self-serving and devious plot with ulterior motive. When I fish with someone new, the usual scenario is we make some casts, and a short while later, I hook up one or two fish and say, "See, that's how you do it here." I almost always hook up fish when I go with someone new, so if I've been dry a week or so, just make a 'meet up' plan with someone new. It worked when I went out with Modest Man a few years ago and hooked a fish within 5 casts, Big Boy (kind of twice when we went out the first time, then later to 'show' my fly fishing tips and I hooked/landed 2 steelhead in 40 minutes, effectively doubling my lifetime-steel-on-the-fly catch at the time, LOL), Mikeee. And in the case of Native Fisher, he is the one that took me to a few spots and I flailed around pathetically breaking some float rigs and rod tips, but it didn't matter...in a day, I hooked up two fish and go something like, "So, is that how you do it?" Hehehehehe.

It works almost every time and you broke it when I didn't nab anything and you hooked the bead fish. Foiled! Drat!

Anyway, I've been on fishing hiatus for a month or so, but have finally gotten back on the horse and went out a few times. No catch yet, so I've got tentative plans in the near future to 'help' someone out...you know who you are, out there on OFF...now you know the REAL plan, LOL :)

B
BamaDan
ChezJfrey said:

Actually you did bank a fish that day. Nailed it on a spoon in the fast water after missing it initially drifting. I remember it well. The streak lives on.

C
ChezJfrey
BamaDan said:
Actually you did bank a fish that day. Nailed it on a spoon in the fast water after missing it initially drifting. I remember it well. The streak lives on.

Holy smokes! Completely forgot, but I think you're right. How did I muddle that memory? Well, carry on people...who wants to go fishing? :)

S
sapo
Lol Chez, didn't hook one with me did you :bleh: