Great day on the Willamette

F
fishOregon
Went fishing at my fishing whole today by Milwaukie on the willamette. got 3 good size 12 inch healthy looked like Mountain white fish but im not sure. If you know what kinda fish this is please let me know But yep just a great day on the river pretty cold thou lol. :) - Mitch

J
JeannaJigs
Hard to see in the pictures from my phone but pretty sure it's a northern pike minnow and the best thing you coulda done was murder it. That rivers loaded with them

D
Drew9870
From a distance it does very well look like a Northern Pikeminnow, but it is actually a Peamouth Chub.

Maybe you will get lucky and hook a Carp, seems like you are out just to toss a line and catch a fish, a Carp can really top off the day when you are out to catch anything and not worried about a meal.

Take some Corn with you next trip.

M
Modest_Man
JeannaJigs said:
Hard to see in the pictures from my phone but pretty sure it's a northern pike minnow and the best thing you coulda done was murder it. That rivers loaded with them

At least properly ID a fish before you tell people they should kill them...

You can tell it's not a whitefish because it lacks an adipose fin.

The mouth is too small for it to be a pikeminnow. On pikeminnow the maxillary extends to below the eye.

If it had small pair of barbels I'd agree with the peamouth ID. Hard to tell from the photos.

D
Drew9870
Never heard of Peamouth's having barbels, but there is no doubt, I got a ''little'' list of all the species in the Willy, I've researched all of them.

The chart (at bottom of page in link, PDF format), lists the fish species, whether they are absent, rare, medium, or common, along with what area they will mostly be found (above or below the falls). My jaw dropped when I first saw this chart.

Fish in the Willy

Reactions: PNW Sam
brandon4455
brandon4455
i would say a peamouth for sure, you can tell by the mouth, pikeminnow generally have a larger mouth no way thats a whitefish.

P
PNW Sam
I love going out and catching little fish like that. Chucking 1/16th spinners in to seams in the current is awesome! Little Peamouths, pikeminnows, and other little sucker fish stack up on gravel ledges and wait for food to come by. It's crazy how predatory even the 8 inchers are! Got a gallon bag in the freezer full of pikeminnows that I'll use for catfish/ sturgeon/ crawdad bait.

Thanks for that chart Drew. That thing is pretty cool, and very interesting to look through!

Reactions: Drew9870
H
Hendo30
No idea on what you have there, eitherway....you have something. Nice catch. Looks like a great day. Thanks for sahring

E
eugene1
Drew9870 said:
Never heard of Peamouth's having barbels, but there is no doubt, I got a ''little'' list of all the species in the Willy, I've researched all of them.

The chart (at bottom of page in link, PDF format), lists the fish species, whether they are absent, rare, medium, or common, along with what area they will mostly be found (above or below the falls). My jaw dropped when I first saw this chart.

Fish in the Willy

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

N
nwkiller
nice

F
fishOregon
Thanks everybody for your input I am now more educated in my fishing from all your guys post. Great link by the way drew that was very interesting. I might go for some carp next time im out. And yes since bass were no longer biting I was out just to fish and be away from work lol. -Mitch - Good luck and tight lines