Winter trouting - McKenzie or Deschutes?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I just haven't been able to get gung-ho this year about salmon/steelhead. Last years attempt at a slump buster was a bust. My only steelie this year was a small summer run from the Wilson while trouting. The late timing of the runs, and the lack of water have made it even more of a blah feeling for me trying to get motivated. (Maybe when the winter steel kicks in to gear, I'll feel different?)

I've really been on a trout fishing kick since about July this year - and I keep having this itch to go flail around with my 4wt switch rod.

Last thursday I wanted to fish - but got up late. I still wound up driving down to Springfield and hit up the McKenzie for 3 hours, before making the 2.5 hr drive home. Got nada, but did see fish actively feeding. Even had a small hatch try and come off, despite the rain.

I want to make an honest to god day of trout fishing sometime between now and Christmas - one good last hurah of the year, before I have to buy a new license.

So I need a plan - and the base of the plan is the river. I've never fished either river a LOT - I've fished the D more than the McKenzie, which is sad, since I share a name with that river. What I have seen of the Mac though, is that you're more likely to need a boat to get to the better spots. The Deschutes has waaaaay better access.

I want to catch another trout or five before the year ends.

So where would you fish? Is there a secret option "C" I should be considering? (Metolius? I've never fished that river, but I hear you really need studded wading boots if you don't want to drown.)

Reactions: Drew9870
F
FlyBum
You would have a better shot at a fish on either of those rivers then the Metolius. If you haven't invested in studded boots, you should. What do you use a 4wt switch rod for? Just remember that trout fishing on the D is now limited to North of the Reservation which rules out Mecca and some of the better trout water.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I bought the switch rod for swinging wet flies and nymphs - but it's pretty good at fishing dries also. Being a double hander - you've got to add a couple actual line weights, if fishing a single hand type line - so the 4 weight switch rod is actually recommended by Echo to be used with a #6 conventional line. (Since spey/switch lines have a different rating than single hand lines)

Over on the coast, I fished a lot of soft hackles and woolly buggers on the switch rod. It's landed my only fly caught steelie (a small 20" summer run) so far, so it should be fine for some 12-15 inch redsides. I like fishing that rod a lot, and working on my double handed casting. Just got the itch to keep using that rod - and the itch for trout. I wouldn't be crazy enough to take it to the D and swing for steel with it - too many nates over there. Summer steelies on the coast, no prob - since they're almost all hatchery fish and I'm not overly concerned with over-stressing a hatchery fish.

I was thinking if I hit the Deschutes, I'd just fish north of Maupin, maybe around Sandy Beach.

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
FlyBum
I understand and know the whole line thing. Just never really understood fishing for trout with a switch rod? Just don't see any of the advantages.

B
bigthackara
Next time you want to make the long trip down to the valley, let me know I will put you on some fish. There are several other rivers that are a better bet in the winter down here. Have you fished the Willamette by oakridge? A lot better for banking and is really good in the winter.

Reactions: Raincatcher
O
OnTheFly
Mark, if you decide to fish the Deschutes, consider Trout Creek. I must have fished there 4 times this year and didn't get skunked once. I also believe the fish up there are larger and more abundent then the Maupin area. Later on, or even now for that matter, the trout will hit glo-bugs as the white fish start to spawn. And if you really want to get wild and crazy there will still be steelhead in there as well.

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
Mark, if you decide to fish the Deschutes, consider Trout Creek. I must have fished there 4 times this year and didn't get skunked once. I also believe the fish up there are larger and more abundent then the Maupin area. Later on, or even now for that matter, the trout will hit glo-bugs as the white fish start to spawn. And if you really want to get wild and crazy there will still be steelhead in there as well.

Trout Creek area is closed to trout fishing!!! :naughty: Check the regulations, (I'm really surprised you would suggest that OTF, thought you would know better) all waters bordering the Indian Reservation are closed to trout fishing until next year.:shock: So basically you get Maupin to the Mouth for trout, on the lower stretch. Ok..... If you really want to catch a fish during the winter.......THE SECRET OPTION "D", if you must, is the Fall River. But, your switch rod is longer than the river is wide in some spots. :rolleyes: You can sight fish easily and these fish are nice! There you have it, spilled my guts, is that what you wanted??

brandon4455
brandon4455
don't those fall river fish eat little tiny midges..? i hate midges :lol: anyways i would go maupin on the deschtues or middle fork willamette. mckenzie is nice but ive heard it's been a lot slower then usual the past two weeks

F
FlyBum
Man, the Fall River is kinda silly, you can sight fish with streamers, fish some bigger attractors on top, bounce some nymphs off the bottom, midge fish, BWO's will really produce this time of year. That river can be easier than you think, you just have to find the fish and not spook them and it really just comes down to which method you would like to catch a fish.

Side note: The Fall River is CLOSED below the falls this time of year.

Oh ya, if you want a stupid guarantee go to the Crooked. Below the dam, you will catch a fish with no real effort. The only thing is you don't get a shot at any thing really big like you would on some of the other rivers.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
Man, the Fall River is kinda silly, you can sight fish with streamers, fish some bigger attractors on top, bounce some nymphs off the bottom, midge fish, BWO's will really produce this time of year. That river can be easier than you think, you just have to find the fish and not spook them and it really just comes down to which method you would like to catch a fish.

Side note: The Fall River is CLOSED below the falls this time of year.

Oh ya, if you want a stupid guarantee go to the Crooked. Below the dam, you will catch a fish with no real effort. The only thing is you don't get a shot at any thing really big like you would on some of the other rivers.

a person that can't catch a fish on the crooked would be something to laugh at LOL

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
Trout Creek area is closed to trout fishing!!! :naughty: Check the regulations, (I'm really surprised you would suggest that OTF, thought you would know better) all waters bordering the Indian Reservation are closed to trout fishing until next year.:shock: So basically you get Maupin to the Mouth for trout, on the lower stretch
Thanks for the heads up. I used to winter fish at Mecca years ago before that rule came into effect. I don't fish there in winter anymore but I new that fishing in Mecca is closed now but didn't know the restriction came as far as Trout Creek. Guess it's only eight miles down isn't it. Thanks for bringing that up. So yeah Mark...don't fish there.

Last edited:
M
markasd
Fall River is a blast, very productive with little homework - just find the fish. So fun this time of year.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Fall river sounds like the place to break in my new 2 weight.

As for trout + switch rods... I do it because it lets me learn double handed casts on a rod that will see a lot more use than a heavier switch rod, or a full spey rod, and well, also just because I can. I've added distance to my casting - which is cool. I've also found that, even with my sucky spey casts, I've got fewer sore muscles at the end of the day when I've fished with the double hander all day vs all but my lightest single hand rods. There's obviously a demand for trout-class switch rods, since more than a couple makers are putting out 3 and 4 weight switch rods. :) I also find that I can cast #6 cone head woolly buggers and the like a bit easier with the switch vs my single handers, which is also nice.

From the advice given, and some other digging I've done - it looks like the lower D won't be really heating up trout wise again until around February. I hadn't considered the upper Willamette much before - since I generally don't associate willamette & trout. I hadn't given the Fall much consideration, since it's a lot further than what I'd been looking at driving. That's a lot of driving for a single day of fishing (200+ miles from home, which equates to about 9-10 hours of winter driving or 8.5 summer) - that'd be more of an over-night trip for me.

S
spmpdr
Have you considered the crooked? its good fishing this time of year and if your willing to make the trip to the d a few extra miles to the C (haha) could make for a much more productive day of fishing... id be glad to show you a few good spots.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hadn't considered the Crooked - but it might be worth the drive too.

R
rippin fish lips
GungasUncle said:
Hadn't considered the Crooked - but it might be worth the drive too.

The mac in the winter is good, if you can find the right spots. In the winter on the mac, logs/trees or "debrees" get stuck on the bank. They create real good eddies, Last year i found out that the trout will hold as tight up to the tree/branches/leaves in the water. I also noticed that a good number of the trout will go "in" the branches cuz its like a filter system for the silt. But i am not a flyfisherman. I cast lures which makes it hard to fish those spots. But the mac is usually crystal clear year round.

In a lot of the spots on this river, you will find that the water is about 1-2 feet above the grass on the bank. Fish the edge of the grass line if u can. Sometimes they will be holding on the grass. Just fish close to the bank. Fish "walking spead" water with ripples/eddies. Slower tailouts is also another key to trouting in the winter.

Here is another great tip, Fish the back sides of islands if it is accessable. Most of the time, the water is a lot clearer and slower on the back sides of islands. Their is good water behind them for trout if your in the right place. Access to the "backside" of islands is 100x easier in the early-late summer months.

F
FlyBum
The Crooked would be the perfect place for a 4wt switch rod! :) LOL

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
FlyBum said:
The Crooked would be the perfect place for a 4wt switch rod! :) LOL

Okay, you don't get the point of a light weight switch rod. That's fine, but the joke is getting old already.

I
Ifisherman
I know a lot of guys that fish 10ft single hand 5 and 6wt rods. I myself love 9.5ft rods. Your echo 4wt is 10.5ft correct? I am sure 6inches or so are below the reel right. That makes it a 9.5-10ft ish 6wt single hand rod. Nothing wrong with that on the D! Great rod and I plan to get one. On the crooked it is a bit big but that has nothing to do with it being a switch. People get so caught up with the names. Trout switch rods are just regular rods with long fighting butts. Get over it already!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
GungasUncle said:
Okay, you don't get the point of a light weight switch rod. That's fine, but the joke is getting old already.

hey man it's a joke, a funny one at that LOL. on the other hand, the crooked is amazing if you have never fished there...awesome fish.they fight hard too, even the small ones. plus whitefish too. it's a nice wide and flat river and is just perfect. good place to use spey rods and all that cause you have so much room. fish are not very picky either.

Last edited: