Big river trout

K
kingfish
I've caught plenty of trout in oregon throughout the years but nothing worth mounting on the wall is there anyone who has caught a really good size trout in the rivers? If so let's talk lures baits and locations all the help would b nice

D
DrTheopolis
When it comes to native river trout, I release them. Occasionally, I'll catch a sea-run cutt that gets hooked in the gill or eye, and is a "bleeder." Those come home with me (in season, of course).

For trophy trout, you're probably better OFF in lakes. Chances of catching something huge are much better.

S
sapo
In the rivers...do steelhead count? Lol there aren't many trout over 30" in our rivers.

Lake trout are your best bet (Yes, they live in lakes).

troutdude
troutdude
Streams, and Lakes, in Southern, Central, and Eastern Oregon are your best bet. Anything close to highly populated areas = stunted sizes. Not even Hagg Lake, is pumping out any biggies yet this year.

H
hvacr1
I have caught some nice src out of the wilson, trask and kilchis up to around 22". Of course I have never kept any of them over 16" only under, since I have always understood that trout over 16" are considered steelhead plus they are non clipped fish being a native src to that river. And don't forget salmon under 15" are trout in the laws eyes as well.

D
DrTheopolis
hvacr1 said:
I have always understood that trout over 16" are considered steelhead

Not quite. Rainbow trout over 16" are considered steelhead in rivers of the Northwest Zone.

But since coastal cutthroat are a true, unadulterated native species, I release them (unless as stated above, they're bleeders).

K
kingfish
I've caught countless trout up here the average I'd have to say is somewhere around 10 in biggest I've caught may have been 14 in what do u guys think ur average size is? I actually caught a rainbow last weekend on the willy fishing with my boss on his drift boat

S
sapo
Average size of trout depends on where you go, I typically go to the Deschutes, some coastal for SRC's (when they're running), and sometimes the Owyhee.

On the Deschutes my average size is probably around 12-14"
On the Miami, Kilchis, Trask, Wilson, for SRC's, probably around 16-18" but the resident cuttys about 8 inches
On Owyhee, 18" average
It really depends on where you go

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hvacr1 said:
I have caught some nice src out of the wilson, trask and kilchis up to around 22". Of course I have never kept any of them over 16" only under, since I have always understood that trout over 16" are considered steelhead plus they are non clipped fish being a native src to that river. And don't forget salmon under 15" are trout in the laws eyes as well.
But not Coho! They are legally always considered salmon and can never be retained as part of a trout limit.

Last edited:
K
kingfish
I'm limited to the willy Siletz and Alsea just cuz I live near by and don't have time or resources for big trips. However I never fished the alsea Siletz or willy as a kid always other places r those good places to find bigger trout?

troutdude
troutdude
Their are some decent, but not neccessarily huge, cutties in the Willy. Cutties, just don't grow large around here. Try down around Cartney County Park, West Ingram Island Road, Old River Road off of Hwy. 99W--and farther north, at the park in Peoria (on Peoria Road). In faster moving water, you may also find some decent sized 'bows too.

S
sapo
Ya kingfish the Willamette does have some bigger trout where td pointed out. The Siletz has some nice sea-runs, as does the Alsea, but the resident trout aren't huge.

K
kingfish
Figures lol I'll do what I can with what I got thanks guys!

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha. Yeah; private ponds / lakes will have some biggies...if you want to pay to play.

K
kingfish
I guess I could stick to salmon fishing when the times right I just like trout fishing it's a lot of fun. It's now even more fun that I'm making my own spinners!!!! Lol they work too!!

K
kingfish
I can't afford private lakes.... those did look like great trout!!!!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have caught a few! 388486_276102769096304_1462793758_n.jpg

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
:)1401173_650693141637263_1116178635_o.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
30" would be a huge trout in a river. My biggest in Oregon was 26". I've probably had a half dozen or so over 20".

When I lived in Wyoming and Utah, big fish were more common.

sapo said:
In the rivers...do steelhead count? Lol there aren't many trout over 30" in our rivers.

Lake trout are your best bet (Yes, they live in lakes).