Difference between winter and summer steelhead

M
mccarrel
So I cut my teeth on Summer Steelhead this season and I was wondering what changes for winter fish. Are they in different water, technique wise it seems to be less spinners more jigs. I assume the water levels change the holes quite a bit so my guess is that I´ll have to find new water. Anyway can´t wait for them to arrive so I can start exploring again.

Last edited by a moderator:
A
alseaalumaweld
same water. but good summer holes change with high water and will not allways be good winter spots. biger baits when waters up. bait helps

spinners work good gold and or silver number 4 and 5

F
fredaevans
alseaalumaweld said:
same water. but good summer holes change with high water and will not allways be good winter spots. biger baits when waters up. bait helps

spinners work good gold and or silver number 4 and 5

Quite true although I fly fish year round. Different run of fish, but the 'odd part' is they spawn at the same time . Summer don't sexually mature until December/January. Winter run fish are SM when they hit the river. Where you want to look for fish is in water 3-8 foot deep and moving at 'walking speed.'

A
alseaalumaweld
3-8 foot deep and moving at 'walking speed.'

high water fish closer to shore.

allso curent seams

P
plumb2fish
I was wondering what changes for winter fish.

I don't remember having to knock the ice out of my guides while fishing for summers.....
I can only remember catching a few winters in shorts and a tee shirt....
Seriously though, steelhead are dumb, they will eat just about anything that floats in front of them the right way, summer or winter. For the most part, you are going to need to refine your technique for winters because they are far less likely to come 30 or more feet to "kill" your presentation...Colder water makes them less active, especially true when the river temp gets below 40. So, you need to "hit them on the beak" almost with your gear at times.

H
halibuthitman
The difference is about the same as trying to flirt with a stripper.... Or a nun... One takes a lot more skill and talent than the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: mccarrel