Toxic update from Detroit Lake

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
It's not good news! The organizers of the Detroit Lake Derby heavily, and irresponsibly promoted the derby. The story carried in the Statesman Journal generally poo-pooed the dangers of blue-green algae and simply advised folks to fish in certain areas. So far, there are at least a dozen reports of extreme nausea, severe blistering on hands and mouth sores. Please tell your fishing friends to stay away from Detroit Lake! The prizes are not worth it. :sad:
Can anyone say with authority how this will effect the Santiam River? Will the toxins eventually wash down the entire length of the river?

B
Big3d
I was wondering the same thing Barb. Unknowing of the dangers, I almost took a buddy up to big cliff on thursday. I wonder if the problem carries downstream or if large concentrations are necessary to cause the problems. Glad we went warmwater fishing at st. Louis instead.

P
pinstriper
Wow this came up fast. It was only last weekend I was there, pullin' fish and washing my hands in the shallows. Ate the fish, too. No signs of any reaction. Did I get lucky, or did the bloom take off after I left ?

B
Big3d
Lucky dude!

T
TimberTodd
Saw a story on news 8 this morning about this. They interviewed the guy who is in charge of the derby and he said the bloom was at the other end of the lake and there was no concern where they were. Wonder if he was trying to cover his tail. The reporter said people should avoid eating the fish as people were walking past him with stringers of trout.

N
NWnathan1981
Has anyone heard if this is still a ongoing problem? I had a whole trip planned for up there this weekend to mushroom pick and fish. Any info would be awesome, thanks.

J
jarhead2
OHA lifted the advisory for humnas but be careful of your dogs. Pat

Top Bottom