Need steelhead and trout advice

K
KYfishman
So im going up to my grandmas for 3 weeks on tuesday and she lives in John Day, theres a portion of river that runs through the town and I was wondering first: Can there be steelhead in there even though its small? And second, How do I catch them??? PS: I know little about trout/steelhead

EOBOY
EOBOY
There may be some but the water is low. You would be better OFF targeting Smallies. The river is hot right now and you'd be a fool not to get with them. Use rubber worms or tube worms.

EOBOY

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. I'm jealous! That river, is on my bucketlist.

In low and / or clear water, think small OFFerings. In high and / or muddy water, think bigger lures, bait, etc. (If bait fishing is legal, of course). I'll defer to others, with experience on that river, with other ideas. Good luck.

P.S. Does granny have an extra guest room? :yikes::D

P.P.S. EOBOY is right; this is THE month to bonk some smallies...and there are a lot of biggun's!

EOBOY
EOBOY
I'm thinking of going to Spray next week or so maybe we should stay in touch. My nabor has a ranch near Spray and he know's one of the guides and the guides clients are catching more smallies than Steallies.

EOBOY

K
KYfishman
EOBOY said:
There may be some but the water is low. You would be better OFF targeting Smallies. The river is hot right now and you'd be a fool not to get with them. Use rubber worms or tube worms.

EOBOY

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I sent my baitcaster in the mail a few days ago, Smallies here I come!

K
KYfishman
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF. I'm jealous! That river, is on my bucketlist.

In low and / or clear water, think small OFFerings. In high and / or muddy water, think bigger lures, bait, etc. (If bait fishing is legal, of course). I'll defer to others, with experience on that river, with other ideas. Good luck.

P.S. Does granny have an extra guest room? :yikes::D

P.P.S. EOBOY is right; this is THE month to bonk some smallies...and there are a lot of biggun's!

Thanks for the advice!

In fact, granny does have an extra room, lol

K
KYfishman
EOBOY said:
I'm thinking of going to Spray next week or so maybe we should stay in touch. My nabor has a ranch near Spray and he know's one of the guides and the guides clients are catching more smallies than Steallies.

EOBOY

I know sometime in that 3 weeks im going with a guy up to Unity reservoir and somewhere else, they haven't told me yet

S
SteelyDan's
Not sure how far upriver the smallies are but that's way up river. Trout fishing should be open next weekend, but check the regs for sure. Good luck and let us know how you did.