Fish need potassium too! Nov 12 cr report

G
GringoJohn

Nov 12
banana.jpg
Ok, before I explain the picture of the 350 pound 120 inch Black Marlin with a banana in his mouth (which was caught by us today), I'll have to take you back a few weeks. I decided I was going to start eating better. That meant lots of berries, fruit, veggies and juice. So I started bringing different healthy foods on the boat, in my lunchbox. One of those good wholesome foods was a banana. You know, potassium, helps to keep the cramps away, etc. Well, i quickly learned from a customer that you can't catch fish with a banana in the boat. Now, I have no doubt that bananas are a very, very evil thing while fishing in other parts of the world, but here in Costa Rica, I have the insider's knowledge that big, Costa Rican, fish don't like cramps either. Well, as it went, today I had my banana for lunch, in my lunchbox, and the mate started complaining that we could never catch a fish with it aboard. Granted it was only noon, and we already had a pair of sailfish released, he just kept going about bad luck, no bananas etc. ??? Knowing what I know about Costa Rica Marlin, and other big Costa Rican fish, I decided to just dispell the rumors once and for all, and I went ahead and put a really big hook in the banana, attached it to the 50 wide, and threw it out in the spread. Literally five minutes later, we were hooked up with the big one in the photo... So next time you're out and the fishing is slow, remember two things, eating bananas is great for keeping away the cramps, and bananas are best trolled from the shotgun, way back away from the boat. Oh yeah, and they swim better frozen!

Went inshore yesterday, and using regular fishing tackle released 4 Rooterfish, a jack and a Mackeral. Here are some other pictures from this month:
nov2011a.jpg
nov2011b.jpg
nov2011c.jpg

Reactions: OnTheFly
C
capblack
how fast were you trolling that banana?

G
GringoJohn
Can't give away all the secrets now, can I? You'll just have to practice, the tricky part is keeping it frozen.

C
capblack
GringoJohn said:
the tricky part is keeping it frozen.

that might be hard where youre from, but not here. where i fish the bananas start fresh and end up frozen

G
GringoJohn
haven't tried the bananas ice fishing yet...

troutdude
troutdude
It's worth a go...especially dipped in chocolate!

Nice feesh!

O
OnTheFly
Hahahahahah...the controversy is over!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to start tying banana streamers!!!!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
onthefly said:
hahahahahah...the controversy is over!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to start tying banana streamers!!!!!!

lol

D
Drew9870
Yesterday at the Salmon R, an old timer I know was there, one time on his boat in the ocean trolling for Salmon, he was spraying WD-40 on everyones gear, he started headin my way and I pretty much said I'll go without, guess who caught the first one on the first 10 minutes of dropping in lines :), anyways, out at the Salmon R, I was running eggs under a float and he said as a joke, ''Want me to spray some WD-40 on your bait? Got a whole can in the tackle box", I told him and the other guys on the bank I'd rather add a mashed banana in my cure :lol:.

G
GringoJohn
That's funny. That whole thing started with a rumor that wd40 had a base of fish oil. I have done a little research because if it worked, I would have to use it, right? That is a myth though, wd40 is NOT a fish oil based product.

The biggest component is an Aliphatic Hydrocarbon which is in the methane family, hence not fish oil. The second biggest component is a Petroleum Base Oil. So that's 2 rumors "busted". On a side note, WD40 stands for "Water Displacement, 40th attempt" and was founded in 1953 by the chemist, Norm Larsen. :) Happy fishing!!!

O
OnTheFly
GringoJohn said:
Can't give away all the secrets now, can I? You'll just have to practice, the tricky part is keeping it frozen.
Hey John, So are you saying you prefer your babanas frozen? I've had them dipped in chocolate that way.

troutdude
troutdude
Outside of it's intended uses at home and at the shop--the only thing that WD40 is good for, is polluting our waters. They are already polluted enough! Anyone that uses it for fishing, ought to be locked up.

D
Drew9870
troutdude said:
Outside of it's intended uses at home and at the shop--the only thing that WD40 is good for, is polluting our waters. They are already polluted enough! Anyone that uses it for fishing, ought to be locked up.

Well said indeed! It should be banned.

Reactions: beaverfan
O
OnTheFly
I understand now why a banana would need to be frozen. If an unfrozen banana were to be trolled, especially at the speeds required for marlin, it would fall apart.

G
GringoJohn
OnTheFly said:
I understand now why a banana would need to be frozen. If an unfrozen banana were to be trolled, especially at the speeds required for marlin, it would fall apart.
Dang the cat is out of the bag. My secrets exposed!

T
Thuggin4Life
I barely had finished my baja and tossed it he peel overboard when a 14lb coho slamd my rod. My buddy trolled by the peel and 20 minutes later he was limited out.

L
ldock
Whattt!!!! You caught that fish with a banana!!!! So cool!!!!