Favorite summer set up

B
BobberDawg
What's your go to rig up for summer steelhead ?

S
Steelheader4Life
The same as winters but just downsize everything. I love to drift a tiny chunk of roe on a size 4 hook or a #3 or #4 Buds Spinner. That's pretty much all I need all summer long.

hobster
hobster
Steelheader4Life said:
The same as winters but just downsize everything. I love to drift a tiny chunk of roe on a size 4 hook or a #3 or #4 Buds Spinner. That's pretty much all I need all summer long.

Yup, this. Maybe a nighmare jig as well tied with a little less marabou.

D
DrTheopolis
#2 Buds on my 5.5' Ultralight with 4#... but I'm silly like that.

And small plugs out of a driftboat in bigger runs.

B
bigboy70
Jigs Some say downsize but for me I usually stay with the 1/8th oz head and a fairly large profile, do I miss fish that get spooked easily probably. The hits you do get though oh GAWD >.<! rod rippers. Also spoons 1/3 and in fast runs 2/5 and it was very hard to beat good roe last summer like the doc said small number 4 hook and a chunk of roe bout the size of a dime was probably the most successful thing for me.

C
coyo7e
DrTheopolis said:
#2 Buds on my 5.5' Ultralight with 4#... but I'm silly like that.

And small plugs out of a driftboat in bigger runs.
Buds as in the spinners?

Thanks!

D
DrTheopolis
Yup. #1 or 2 on light line. Bangtail spinners work really well in current, as well.

C
coyo7e
Okay weird question maybe.. I was practicing making yarn balls with a trailing hook and pulled out a store bought string of cheaters to eyeball for reference, and noticed something that seems odd, from what I have been told about drifting and stuff..?

HhfH84x.jpg

Am I crazy or does that seem backward to anyone else? There is so little space between the leading and trailing hooks that the bead actually hits the haft of the leading hook, no matter where it is along the long in between..!

The knots were impeccable though!

Here's some of the results of my attempts.. 2 pcs of chartreuse and 2 pcs of pink yarn overlaying each other, with a trailer hook. I put tags of tape on the loose ends so I can easily grab and slide a corkie and bead onto it etc as I desire.
dvZoNYj.jpg

I've also been wanting to throw together some jigs, I found my old fly-tying stuff but a lot of the hair was left exposed to the air too long and got rotten, but I have tons of hackle and stuff.. :)

edit: dang, was trying to timg the picture so it was smaller, sorry..

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
For summers, my 3 faves, in order of my success rate:

1. Small copper/brass spoon, painted black with a Sharpie
2. MOAL leech (black/blue, black/purple) on the swing.
3. Small corkie (sometimes half painted black with Sharpie), with a tuft of black yarn, drifted.

B
bigboy70
Hey if you need a hand getting into the jigs, I know a guy lol!

A
adamg
do beads work well for summers? i got into them this year for winters, drifting them from the bank bobberdog style under a float, got some big fish on small beads. i wonder how summers would react to them.

B
Bouncinbottom
I have no stinking idea. And THAT is tremendously exciting to me! For me the process and constant trial and error, and error, and error is addictive. This is/ will be my first summer as a steelhead nut. I look forward to expanding my game. Oh, and it's probably a good thing I don't gamble.

B
bigboy70
uploadfromtaptalk1433860423262.jpg
Light line, #4 hook, and a small chunk of roe. Proof is in the pudding