South Santiam springers

B
BobberDawg
Hello, new to the forum! Just wondering if anyone is having an luck with the Springers on the south Santiam.? :yikes:

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. Here's that section of the ODFW Recreation Report:

SANTIAM RIVER (SOUTH FORK): steelhead, Chinook , bass

Flows in the South Santiam below Foster dam have been fluctuating around 1,000 cfs at Waterloo as of May 4. Water releases out of Green Peter reservoir are being reduced for the next few weeks to ensure adequate filling before the summer, which should make for excellent fishing conditions in the interim below Foster dam.

New summer steelhead and spring Chinook have begun to arrive at Willamette Falls but it will take a few weeks before the majority of them arrive in the basin. Winter steelhead are in the basin now and can be found throughout the river. So far, 107 winter steelhead, 28 summer steelhead and 255 spring Chinook have entered the trap below Foster as of May 4. Best sections to fish are from Wiley Creek to Pleasant Valley boat ramps, around Waterloo County Park, and from Lebanon down to the confluence with the North Santiam.

Closed to trout fishing until May 23, 2015.

A
adamg
i hi the south santiam this past saturday at a deep hole i figured would have some fish in it. nothing. gave up around 1130 hoping to be home by 1. on my way off the river i see a big springer dolphin behind a log in 3-4 ft of water. saw him rolling around on the bottom. had a go at him and noticed there were a handful of other fish holding behind. had one follow my spinner for 2-3 feet but didn't commit. threw everything i had at them but nothing did the trick. didn't get home till around 4. :chargrined:

B
BobberDawg
Hopefully the rain we are going to get this week will get something going over there thanks for the info !

O
Orgwayne
Went last weds with Son , 6 boats at the waterloo falls , saw [one] 1 fish caught in 4.5 hrs of fishing , saw 3 + fish jumping down at the boat ramp,
we where under the bridge, there sue is a lot of fish somewhere in the Willamette system
Wayne:thumb:

B
BobberDawg
Wayne, I agree the numbers are fairly good coming over the falls and not many at the trap up at foster, they got to be in there somewhere. Me and my son also went over about a week ago and out of the 7 boats at Waterloo only seen one fish caught! after seeing Adagm's post I'm thinking I may need to start targeting shallow water .

C
Combat Chuck
Same story here... glad Im not the only one!

B
BobberDawg
Your not the only one combat , seems to be the normal report all up and down the river one fish here and there or nothing at all ! anyone herd anything from up by foster dam ?

H
hydropsyche
I did a mothers day float below lebanon. We saw quite a few salmon but couldn't get anything to bite. Water was pretty low for this time of year and its warming up fast.

troutdude
troutdude
Uh oh. Salmon don't fare well, in warm water. Hope we don't have a die-OFF, in progress.

O
OnTheDrop
I heard a couple decent reports from a guide buddy. He did say it's been up and down, though, for the most part. Limit one day, 1 fish the next, and so forth. Put your time in, and get your hands on good bait. It makes a huge difference with Springers.

Cheers,

L
LuckyFisher
For as many fish as there should be around right now, the fishing has been horrible. Way worse than last year at this time and there have been way more fish over the falls. Not sure what's going on.

B
BobberDawg
Maybe the rain and cooler temps will kick start some good fishing? fingers crossed :sad:

B
BobberDawg
Any one have a report for the first part of the week was wondering if the rain helped out or not ?

S
Shark 13
I went out this last week (5-13) and caught one Salmon. I was using a #3 bluefox and letting it drift down the river. It was my first trip to the Santiam this year. Caught the fish on my second cast. Not sure it was skill or just dumb luck ;) Went out the next day and didn't get any thing. I went to Waterloo and only seen one fish on the bank.