Wilson/Trask River steelies and springers

C
chinookless
Hey guys hopefully some of you knowledgeable folk will offer me some insight.

What is the setup used for the trask/wilson river? Just your basic bobber/float drift fishing setup? I have been struggling this year(and last year) to hook into any fish. Also, I am new to the area originally from Arkansas.

-One last night, is there a reason for the major drop off in springer effort on the Multnomah channel? Did the salmon move on to other waters? Forgive my ignorance.

-Thanks again,

Chinookless.

T
Toyracer38
Sudden drop today on the MC, would be due to the Columbia reopening for the day.

C
chinookless
Toy racer, we meet again

Yea, I was talking to a fellow out on the MC yesterday and he was mentioning to me that the run has peaked on both rivers. Thanks for the response.

S
Steelheader4Life
chinookless said:
Toy racer, we meet again

Yea, I was talking to a fellow out on the MC yesterday and he was mentioning to me that the run has peaked on both rivers. Thanks for the response.

The main set up used for Chinook fishing on any of the coastal rivers is bobber and bait. Experiment with all kinds of bait to find out what is working best that day. I always like to have at least 3 options; let's say eggs, sand shrimp, and some kind of meat like tuna belly (or tuna balls), sardine, or herring. Then you can try combo's of all of them. Sometimes tuna bellies and eggs is king, other times it's a chunk of sardine with a sand shrimp, you just never know so I like to be prepared. Also having a couple different egg cures will up your odds.

I've heard that the Wilson gets a small run of springers but I have never fished it so I wouldn't be much help there. The Trask on the other hand has plenty of springers and I know the run is starting off yearly so anytime from now until July and even into July will be good. Be sure to read the regs because there are gear restrictions in certain stretches of river.

D
DrTheopolis
This isn't really a typical year on those streams, in that the rivers have become low and clear earlier than usual. That doesn't mean you can't hook fish, because you certainly can (although personally, I've always found that coastal springers aren't nearly as willing biters as the valley fish). But lighten up the gear a bit, and make the presentation a little smaller than you would in higher/cooler water.

S
Steelheader4Life
DrTheopolis said:
This isn't really a typical year on those streams, in that the rivers have become low and clear earlier than usual. That doesn't mean you can't hook fish, because you certainly can (although personally, I've always found that coastal springers aren't nearly as willing biters as the valley fish). But lighten up the gear a bit, and make the presentation a little smaller than you would in higher/cooler water.

Agreed, early in the morning and late in the evening when the water cools a bit will help the bite. Coastal springers can be a tough fish to catch. Generally speaking you will definitely want a smaller bait than you would for say a fall fish.

C
chinookless
Steelheader4Life said:
Agreed, early in the morning and late in the evening when the water cools a bit will help the bite. Coastal springers can be a tough fish to catch. Generally speaking you will definitely want a smaller bait than you would for say a fall fish.

Great responses guys, I appreciate the insight that you all have shared. Do these approaches, in terms of bait and rig setup, apply to steelhead as well? Thanks guys.

Chinookles

D
DrTheopolis
Bobber/bait or hardware generally work on summers as well. The steelhead can be a bit line-shy in low, warm water.