4th Qtr Rosie

R
RunWithSasquatch
IMG_1383.jpg

Coast Rifle Elk season, 1st season is only 4 days long, and I will say its not always the most enjoyable hunt. Usually fast paced, and requires you to cover a lot of ground, generally as fast as you can. Lots of hunters, and if you dont get to the elk, someone will.

After the first day, and the next morning, usually you can throw all of your scouting out of the window, all of the herds are broken into fragments, the mature bulls that have been through these hunts for several years split off from contact with other elk all together, and the patterns of the elk all change.

Have had years where we tag out first light on opening day, other years you get into them the 2nd-3rd days. But generally the deeper into season you go, the percentage of getting on shooter bulls drops through the floor. Day 1-3 this year we seemed to always be a step behind, 15-30 minutes, in a good area, but seemed like extra pressure where we walk in. A lot of shooting the first and second day in areas we were always headed too.

I hunted with my dad day 1-3, then he had to work. Luckily a good friend of mine called me Monday night asking me what I have seen, and needed someone to hunt with for the last day. Worked out well.

Got on fresh sign 200yds from where I parked my truck to walk in on top of a tall ridge, I think I bumped them off in the dark while we sat in the truck, no matter, they can't go anywhere with out leaving bread crumbs.

Find there tracks after first light, and leave them sit for about 30 minutes while we glassed the units we could see from on top of the ridge, and with out finding any elk in view, we started dogging on the tracks.

Catch up to them about 300 yards further away from the truck in a timber stand, they had bedded down on an old landing, bumped them at about 20 yards, but was still pretty dark in the timber, est 15-20 head, Jeremy thinks he seen a spike in the group but wasn't able to confirm, it was too dark , and down towards the bottom they go.

Stayed on them through 2 patches of re-prod, and 3 separate timber stands, getting into them 4 times, including a separate group of elk that housed 3 cows, and one rag 3 or 4. No shots available on them either.

My buddy and I took separate ridges in the final timber stand to try and find the original heard again, and I ended up busting butt and getting below the stand thinking they were heading out of the bottom to a large patch of 15' tall re-prod I knew was at the bottom.

Sure-is-****, I hit the bottom, came around a corner, and there they stood, about 5-10 yards inside of the timber stand, feeding, and looking like they were building angst to cross into the open and into the prod.

At first all I could see were about 8-10 cows, and about 4 of them were watching me, about 80 yards out, and right before I thought they were gonna make the move, I seen the spike making his way through the timber, and then he stopped with a cow directly in front of him, I had about a 3' window that I could make a shot if he went any further forward, and he did.:)

By the time I got my shot on the critter, we had worked about 2.5 miles from the truck, and was all up hill the first pack out. The second round I called my dad to drive out and pick us up at the bottom, was 5 miles total out, but was all down hill.

I didn't have a watch with me, but I think I took him at around 10am yesterday, and had him back hanging right at 10 last night.

Lots of luck, lots of effort, and a little knowledge of the land.

IMG_1392.jpg

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
way to go sasquatch,your freezer will be full...how the heck did you pack that out???????

R
RunWithSasquatch
bigsteel said:
way to go sasquatch,your freezer will be full...how the heck did you pack that out???????

Quarter him up, first pack up we each took a front shoulder, back straps. Jeremy also had the loins, which are awesomely big in an elk, he had the liver, which is giant, and the heart.

I took a front quarter and the head on the first pack. We also had some carvings that will be ground up in some of the bags as well. All we had on the first trip were our back packs, so we have to secure everything with string before we roll. Not ideal, but it works.

And then on the second pack, that we went all down, we had our pack boards, and took the back hams down. They're the heaviest.

Its not easy, but rewarding. I was having blood sugar/ hydration issues. We did not pack enough for the hunt we did. Weighed my self this morning and I lost 7lbs:lol: Its all over now though:)

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Sorry bigsteel, I didn't salvage any hair for you, i forgot to bring a bag to put it in, and we had our hands full, and decided not to invent some place to put it.

B
bigsteel
RunWithSasquatch said:
Sorry bigsteel, I didn't salvage any hair for you, i forgot to bring a bag to put it in, and we had our hands full, and decided not to invent some place to put it.
:lol::lol: thats cool man,that is a hell of a beast,,glad you got him out of there:dance:

C
Chrome_Chaser
Good job on the bull. Hunting over on the coast is pretty tough. I'll leave the coast to you guys while I'll go East.:) Congratulations!!:clap::clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Chrome_Chaser said:
Good job on the bull. Hunting over on the coast is pretty tough. I'll leave the coast to you guys while I'll go East.:) Congratulations!!:clap::clap:

I agree, its pretty commando, and people get to amped up.

In-fact, not sure if many have heard yet, but there was a hunter that got shot in the back opening morning by an over excited "kid" (24 years old), a few miles crows fly across the canyon from me. Sad deal, sad story.

Last edited:
D
DB Crouper
Great hunting story. NOTHING eats better than a Rosie spike, especially when it is so hard earned. Way to go!

P
PNW Sam
Very nice job bro! Sounds like my kind of hunting!

Also, what rifle and scope did you use?

Last edited:
K
Keith
Squatch,

That thing is tiny. How did you hit it from so far a way?? You must be a great shot!!! HA! HA!!

Was it anywhere near my place at Neskowin??

Good job !!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome! Nice work

R
RunWithSasquatch
PNW Sam said:
Also, what rifle and scope did you use?

I shoot an M70 Westerner 7mm mag, with a Leupold VXII 3x9. Nothin fancey.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Keith said:
Was it anywhere near my place at Neskowin??

Good job !!

Nope, he's a N. Alsea unit critter.

P
PNW Sam
RunWithSasquatch said:
I shoot an M70 Westerner 7mm mag, with a Leupold VXII 3x9. Nothin fancey.

HAH! I knew that was a model 70 lol. I just bought my dream rifle this year. Model 70 Sporter in .300 Win. Mag. with a Leupold VXII 4-12 LR. The scope basicially just has an adjustible range dial for better focus at long range and 2 dots on the lower half of the verticle line in the reticle.

I also got a cow tag again this year so I REALLY missed going after a bull. Can't complain though, way better to have a near guarantee of getting meat lol.

Congrats again!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Cow tags are a lot of fun, and like you say, pretty good chance of getting your meat. Usually those December cow hunts have some snow on the ground too, can be neat to hunt in.

R
RunWithSasquatch
DB Crouper said:
NOTHING eats better than a Rosie spike!
Thats no joke! I can't wait to get him in the skillet! Wife wont touch the deer I take home, but she hardly leaves me any elk.

C
capblack
way to go :clap: good eats for sure. sounds like you were blessed with an excellent season this year, but that coast bull hunt doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. did you have all 4 days off of work to hunt?

R
RunWithSasquatch
The hunt is stressful. There are way to many participants, its not ideal. I have been wanting to make the change to archery for a while, but I keep dragging my feet.

Theres two seasons, first 4 days, and second is 7 days. It starts this Saturday.

I had all 4 days, and always schedule time off for my hunts. This year I am layed off (mill fires up next month) so time isn't the issue.

There are a lot of unsuccessful hunters in the coast hunt, but they also hunt a lot of bad areas. Just my opinion.

Best chance is opening day, first light. My ideal hunt is to have a large walk in only road system, glass as many units as you can, and cover as much ground as you can, as fast as you can.

S
SALTYFISH
Nice

Nice

Great report RWS, This is what I like to see. The best part is you busted your butt, In your own back yard, And you were rewarded.
Nicely.....

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thanks Salty.