New to Oregon -- need fishing buddies

M
mcfishin
First, I want to thank all of you -- I've found a lot of great information on this board, so I signed up. I just landed a job in Hillsboro, and will be moving down there in a couple weeks. I am familiar with PNW fishing, but the Columbia is a different beast. I really want to learn sturgeon fishing, and techniques for salmon and steelhead.

Reading tips and things online is great, but I need to get some time on the water. If anybody is interested in teaching me some of the waters around Portland, I will gladly buy gas/bait/beer/etc. I am game for any type of fishing, and am pretty skilled with trout/bass/panfish/salt water bottomfish -- I mostly don't know where to go and am pretty clueless about the big three I mentioned above.

I hope this doesn't break forum rules, I didn't see anything about shamelessly begging for fishing partners.:D

H
HereFishy
You had me at 'sturgeon fishing'..... Welcome aboard... Speaking as the self appointed "Sturgeon General", I'm more than willing to share my honey holes with anyone who is interested enough to pay attention to my ramblings (they're no secret). I can turn you on to nursery holes, where you'll only catch shakers, all day every day. Or I can steer you towards where the oversized big boys live. PM me if you want a little help with where to go, time of day, bank vs. boat, bait selection... I'm here to help...

T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF mcfishin and congrats on the new job.

bass
bass
Welcome aboard. I recommend getting a kayak if you are bank bound. It opens up a lot more opportunities.

M
mcfishin
thanks guys. Can you get upriver in a kayak? More importantly, how do you land a big fish in a kayak? These are the questions that have always kept me from trying it... I'm afraid I'll kept swept out to the Pacific Ocean or pulled under by a 200 lb sturgeon.

I plan on getting a boat when I get settled in, but I really want to know what will work best for me -- which means trying some different styles and places. If I can get by with a kayak, then that would save me a lot of money, but I'm not sure I'd feel safe.

F
FishOn420
mcfishin said:
thanks guys. Can you get upriver in a kayak? More importantly, how do you land a big fish in a kayak? These are the questions that have always kept me from trying it... I'm afraid I'll kept swept out to the Pacific Ocean or pulled under by a 200 lb sturgeon.

I plan on getting a boat when I get settled in, but I really want to know what will work best for me -- which means trying some different styles and places. If I can get by with a kayak, then that would save me a lot of money, but I'm not sure I'd feel safe.

I live downtown Portland and could always use some fishing buddies. I only have a few friends that enjoy fishing as much as I do. I am only bank bound at the moment because I don't have the space in my condo to store anything really. I am looking into getting a nice inflatable raft soon with a little motor on it. I haven't explored the area to greatly yet but I have been trying out new spots about every week trying to find something to produce some good sturgeon fishing. Feel free to PM anytime. Mondays and Tuesdays work best for me or early mornings. I have heard that the west Lynn dock is pretty good for some decent size sturgeon but you can get snagged fairly easily. Welcome to Oregon and OFF.

R
rowlison
I am always looking for good people to fish with! like you mcfishin I am newer to OR fishing and the people on OFF have been a huge help in getting info on the best spots and gear. I live in Wilsonville but don't mind driving and hitting new locations just let me know. Good luck and welcome to Oregon.

F
Fishing Ham
Little far, but if you ever get down to Southwest area I can get you an open seat. Can't guarantee fish but your line will get wet.

D
DrTheopolis
rowlison said:
the people on OFF have been a huge help in getting info on the best spots

Well, maybe not the "best" spots :winkwinkwink:

EOBOY
EOBOY
If you're into throwing flies we got that covered too. I live in Hillsborito so touch base when you're settled.

EOBOY

R
rowlison
@DrTheopolis Haha! OFF has been better in helping me out then some others I have asked, it's like I asked them for the of their first born.

F
fphowell
mcfishin said:

I think the fishing regs won't allow you to pull a large sturgeon onboard, as it's catch and release.

F
FishOn420
fphowell said:
I think the fishing regs won't allow you to pull a large sturgeon onboard, as it's catch and release.

I believe anything over 6ft you can not pull out of the water.