Rain or shine

K
Kage
I was looking forward to hitting the water tomorrow but with all the rain I don't think there would be fishable water, although I'm open to suggestions. I finally bought some waders and wanted to give my fly rod some action. It's an Echo Solo that I got for Xmas and, if I remember correctly, I was told it was set up for steelhead. If anything I'll be somewhere along the Sandy.

M
Modest_Man
The Sandy will fish fine tomorrow.

S
Steelheader4Life
Everything will fish tomorrow. That wasn't enough rain to do anything to the rivers!

K
Kage
Thanks guys, I'm never sure when it comes to water levels after any bit of rain. I been sitting here now trying to figure out if my fly rod can handle steelhead. It's a 9ft 8 wt rod, the leader just doesn't seem strong enough to me but then again I've never hooked a steelhead before.

J
Jordy
Thats plenty of rod. Lots of lite water summer steelhead meet their maker at the hand of 4lb leader. That's what your drag is for. Set it a few pounds lighter than your leader and you are good to go!

K
Kage
Nothing to report except that I am horrible at casting on a fly rod. Gonna head to Oxbow tomorrow morning and try my luck there. Picked some new flies and tips on better casting techniques.

J
Jordy
Try watching you tube videos and casting a line out in an open field. I gained a lot by practicing outside of the river environment. Get a couple hula hoops and set them up an approximate distance for the water you plan to fish.

Also adjust your casting direction to practice in different wind situations.

I vastly improved my ability to make a bunch single hand and spey casts by practicing away from the river because I could focus on rhythm and line feedback while the line is moving (in the air). Its nice to take a few variables out of the equation to start forming good habbits early.