Middle D salmonfly nymphs?

ScottyD
ScottyD
Flying home from Holland in a few weeks, and will manage to get away for one day on the river. Anyone seen or heard of nymph activity picking up in the Warm Springs area? Will miss the hatch - unless it kicks in crazy early.

S
sapo
Ya bro, stonefly nymphs are good right now and will be good for awhile, the trout are really hitting them. I had a friend hook a steelhead on one :lol: he lost it tho.
But ya stonefly nymphs, green caddis pupa, and march browns are working well right now

O
OnTheDrop
Shoot. From what I hear there's a few Salmons already buzzing around..

ScottyD
ScottyD
Outstanding! 10 days and counting...

K
K406
I've been on the river around Mapuin lately with lots of action on stoneflies. March Brown's are also providing some good hatches for dries, though I have yet to catch a fish on a dry fly (pretty new still overall to fly fishing), though I did get a number of strikes last time I was out 2 weeks ago. You'll have plenty of action, so have fun!

H
hydropsyche
I just got back from the middle around steelhead falls it was slow. lots of hatches and very few risers it got super windy. I can't wait for the lower section to open. I have had some of my most productive days (#s+ huge bows) nymphing before the salmon fly hatch. A size 18 or 16 red, black, green or tan bead head zebra midge below your salmon fly nymph can be very good. The red one is one of my favorites early season.

J
JeannaJigs
Since it's been so mild and warm the hatch should be in full swing soon, I moved my 4 day camping trip up to the middle of may rather than the end. Missed the good chunk or the black stones last year and only got into the golden stone hatches mostly. Be prepared with some salmon fly dries

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

M
Modest_Man
It better hold off until Memorial Day weekend...

I'm really looking forward to the limited entry this year. Last year was a bit of a zoo, even for the D. I've been tying up some fun interpretations of the Chubby that I can't wait to try.

J
JeannaJigs
I think the fishing will still be good but the main chunk of the hatch is going to be way before memorial weekend this year due to the fact it hasn't been cold and there's no snow pack pretty much state wide. I originally put in for memorial weekend off and changed it. Last year we went midweek just before memorial weekend and it was the golden stones that were out, and the black stones were mostly done until you got up above mecca, and then we saw a bunch. Goldens come out after the black stones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk