What trout is this?

K
kingfish
Is this a coastal cutthroat?

• 2015-03-23 14.14.01.jpg
bass
bass
I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is definitely a cutthroat :)

I have read that the cutthroats on the coastal streams go in and out of the salt, but not on a regular schedule. The may stay in the streams their whole lives, or hit the salt a numerous times. I do not believe scientists have figured out why the large disparity. Your fish looks like a cutthroat that has been in freshwater for a good while, perhaps its whole life.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
looks to me like a Coastal Cutthroat wearing 'river colors'...

B
BaldTexan
Looks like a "dinner" trout.

K
kingfish
Caught it in Tobe Creek or Bummer Creek just outside alsea on my girlfriends land very pretty fish almost 16in long biggest trout I've ever caught

S
sapo
beautiful fish..on a spinner?

K
kingfish
Yes sir sapo size 6 I think super clear water saw it turn around and softly take it awesome fish

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kingfish said:
Caught it in Tobe Creek or Bummer Creek just outside alsea on my girlfriends land very pretty fish almost 16in long biggest trout I've ever caught

just trying to help keep your cash in your pocket, so be aware that streams and creeks in the NW zone do not open for fishing until May 23 except for those listed as open for certain types of fishing under Special Regulations. Bummer Creek is not listed, so it is closed to all fishing until May 23...cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
just trying to help keep your cash in your pocket, so be aware that streams and creeks in the NW zone do not open for fishing until May 23 except for those listed as open for certain types of fishing under Special Regulations. Bummer Creek is not listed, so it is closed to all fishing until May 23...cheers, roger

Yep; you don't want to pay any hefty fines--for fishing out of season!

A 16-incher, could very likely be an SRC. A nice fish for sure.

K
kingfish
Thanks for the info Roger

J
JonT
How long have you been fishing in Oregon?

K
kingfish
JonT not very long roughly a month or so

K
kingfish
But I've lived up here almost 2 years

bass
bass
Hey kingfish, I moved to Oregon from the East coast about 18 years ago. When I first started fishing here I could not believe the size of the regulations book. It was daunting having to know so many regulations in order to wet a line. It takes a while to get used to but eventually it seems normal.

T
TTFishon
Looks like a SRC to me. Did you keep it? Might not want to answer that question. lol What's funny to me is. If you woulda started your thread with "while steelhead fishing I caught this, what is it?" No one would question your regulation knowledge. lol Just sayin. lol

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
TTFishon said:
Looks like a SRC to me. Did you keep it? Might not want to answer that question. lol What's funny to me is. If you woulda started your thread with "while steelhead fishing I caught this, what is it?" No one would question your regulation knowledge. lol Just sayin. lol

I make note of your 'lol', but just to be safe, he was fishing on a creek that is closed to fishing until May 23, so your suggestion would have resulted in posting something that was untrue and that violates OFF forum rules...

now his other thread about fishing at Alsea boat launches is different, but to avoid a citation (which is my goal in helping people with the regs) would require him to be fishing for steelhead. for example, say a Trooper is watching for a while from the greenery and then approaches for a chat:
1- you would need to be able to defend that your gear, tackle, and tactics are consistent with fishing for steelhead. Obviously some subjectivity here.
2- your handling of 'incidentally' hooked trout, salmon, and steelhead smolt, would need to be consistent with an understanding that they need to be released unharmed and should not be removed from the water.
3- you must have your combined angling tag, without it you cannot fish for steelhead. :thumb:

K
kingfish
Rogerdodger I appreciate the help by the way everyone makes mistakes where I grew up things were different so I need to adjust to my new environment

T
TTFishon
rogerdodger said:
I make note of your 'lol', but just to be safe, he was fishing on a creek that is closed to fishing until May 23, so your suggestion would have resulted in posting something that was untrue and that violates OFF forum rules...

now his other thread about fishing at Alsea boat launches is different, but to avoid a citation (which is my goal in helping people with the regs) would require him to be fishing for steelhead. for example, say a Trooper is watching for a while from the greenery and then approaches for a chat:
1- you would need to be able to defend that your gear, tackle, and tactics are consistent with fishing for steelhead. Obviously some subjectivity here.
2- your handling of 'incidentally' hooked trout, salmon, and steelhead smolt, would need to be consistent with an understanding that they need to be released unharmed and should not be removed from the water.
3- you must have your combined angling tag, without it you cannot fish for steelhead. :thumb:

Dang it. That's a good point Rodger. Yes, make note of my lol. He/she who knows me will understand it. He/she who doesn't know me will only make assumptions.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kingfish said:
Rogerdodger I appreciate the help by the way everyone makes mistakes where I grew up things were different so I need to adjust to my new environment

I think most fisherman have made a mistake with the regs. at some point in their fishing lives, I certainly have.
People who intentionally break the rules or continue to violate them are not fishermen, they are poachers.

K
kingfish
People who do that are a disgrace I'd never intentionally break the rules