Striped bass fishing in Oregon

K
kingfish
Loved fishing for Striped Bass in California but where they are up here in Oregon? Does anyone know the best spots or any for that matter?

B
BaldTexan
I miss striper fishing in the south as well! I haven't found any lakes in Oregon that have Stripers or any tide water for that matter. :grumpy:

K
kingfish
The fishing regulations say they're up here though

E
eugene1
There are a few threads on here that you can search for.

Smith and Umpqua rivers.

T
TimberTodd
eugene1 said:
There are a few threads on here that you can search for.

Smith and Umpqua rivers.

X2 on the Smith and Umpqua. At one time there were good runs in the Coos and Coquille systems. Somewhere I have a picture of me with a 25lber. I caught on the Coos when I was a Jr. in high school. That was 1980.

K
kingfish
Thanks guys!!!!

E
eugene1
kingfish,

Unless you are really set to put time in for Stripers, I think a better use of your fishing time is to learn the patterns of the more abundant local fish like springer salmon and summer steel this time of year. Seemed to me the Stripers were few and far between recently unless you lived in Reedsport or Windy bay and could devote considerable effort (I couldn't anyway). After ODFW stopped stocking them angler effort decreased considerably- probably for a reason.

Good luck though,

K
kingfish
I see... good advice eugene1

troutdude
troutdude
In the mid 70's, my uncle got a 42 pounder from the Smith.

The only Oregon lake that I know of, is Ana Reservoir. Ana is stocked with Wipers--a Striper and White bass hybrid. This reservoir is spring fed; to does NOT ice over in winter. The Wiper season is mostly, a late winter to mid spring show.

Ana is in the SE Oregon zone. It's open year around. But only one Wiper--with a 16" minimum length--can be harvested in a 24-hour period.

K
kingfish
Thanks a lot guys!!!

S
striperfear1973
fishing has really died on the smith, and umpqua, i target both rivers and the last few years has been terrible sorry for the bad news but i fished the crap out of both rivers, and have plenty of stripers under my belt to know what im doing ,and its just been super tough

B
Billamicasr
Wonder if any information could be garnered by contacting the areas fisheries biologist.
I drop them a line and see if they have a comment. Answers usually take a couple of weeks while they are out playing in the water.
I'll post again.

C_Run
C_Run
I spent some effort researching this subject but have not really put in any time fishing stripers yet. If you go to the tackle shops in Reedsport through Bandon and ask questions, I have gotten some pretty specific information and advice that would help if I were more serious about striper fishing. I've also gleaned more info from locals who I've met while fishing down there. It sounds like striper fishing isn't what it used to be, though. I have not had the time to find out first hand but I think I know where to go and what to do now.

S
striperfear1973
i have done hours and hours of time and research on stripers in the reedsport area , the fishery is not what it used to be at all , very slow almost non existent, there are fish there but it takes a lot of water time to find them and they move all the time , bait , water temp, current , moon , all make a major roll as to where they will be , its a very tough fishery anymore , used to be easy , not any more