Fun on the Mac

hobster
hobster
Finally got out yesterday and fly fished for the first time since last fall. God it felt great to cast that rod once again, my favorite form of fishing. The dry fly fishing was slow so i busted out the nymphs and didn't do so hot until i hooked a gorgeous redside that put up a great fight! That fish did not want to come in, after a bit of convincing i finally got him close and tailed him and did a quick measurement on my rod, about 15 inches with a lot of girth. I think it was the biggest fish i've ever got on the lower Mac. Wish i had my camera :(
Got out again today for a few hours and slow again until i was able to wade out to a spot i know fish hold. Mind you i would not have been able to do this usually until july or august but man the river is low. It was awesome! Fish on or hitting my swinging nymph almost every cast for about an hour, then the bite died. Here are a few pics, all cutties released unharmed of course. The one of my feet was a fat cuttie that unbuttoned just as i was bringing him in.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent...

T
TimberTodd
That sounds like a great day. I agree, flipping the bug wand is also my favorite way to fish.

J
JeannaJigs
[emoji106] it's bug wand season, I can hardly wait to get out with mine again, gonna have to wait 3 weeks for the Deschutes, but I hope to get out on the mac again soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hobster
hobster
Get out there! Bite seems to be best mid day right now. They are definitely feeding subsurface for the most part. I recently read the natives are thriving in the lower river, Good news! They semed bigger than normal.

J
JeannaJigs
Busy time of the year, I usually don't get much trout fishing in until July due to salmon, but with these low flows I don't expect much to happen there but in the meantime I'm focused on murdering a turkey, when that happens I'll get out on the local water lol

T
Throbbit _Shane
JeannaJigs said:
Busy time of the year, I usually don't get much trout fishing in until July due to salmon, but with these low flows I don't expect much to happen there but in the meantime I'm focused on murdering a turkey, when that happens I'll get out on the local water lol

I seen a turkey today not too far from the Market of Choice on 29th ave. Don't think it would be a good place to shoot a gun though lol.

Also a week or so ago I was at Armitage walking on the gravel bar and seen quite a few trout jumping. Made me wish I had packed along a rod.

J
JeannaJigs
Throbbit _Shane said:
I seen a turkey today not too far from the Market of Choice on 29th ave. Don't think it would be a good place to shoot a gun though lol.

Also a week or so ago I was at Armitage walking on the gravel bar and seen quite a few trout jumping. Made me wish I had packed along a rod.

Haha no, you can't discharge a firearm within the city limits. Can't even bow hunt, legally. It's going to rain on my days off, but I'm going to try friday...go scout thursday and find a spot to sit, get in there in the dark friday morning and talk dirty to some toms. My expectations are exceptionally low. Gonna try.

I hate when I'm near water without a rod, it's always when you see fish rising lol. I think the flows are gonna be extremely crappy on the willamette and mckenzie this year and make boating a pain in the arse, theres so many gravel bars exposed that don't exist usually until july or august, like down at armitage right now.