Crab bait

T
tljack
I usually do pretty good using chicken for crab bait.

Today I discovered I had put some chicken into my shop refrigerator instead of the freezer. I have not idea how I did this, may to much Jack one evening.

Anyway it is now giving off a curious aroma. Has anyone used spoiled meat with any success for crabbing or should I just toss it?

Terry

Springtucky OR

F
flocaster
It'll still work fine but I would throw it in the freezer asap and the use it frozen

T
tljack
Thanks for commenting! The chicken is in the freezer now. Crabbing right now does not look to promising so I think I will head to Crane Prairie Sat for the opener.

F
flocaster
Almost crawdad season again, works for them too

D
DrTheopolis
I'll even say that rotting chicken is maybe the best crab bait. Used it with great success.

The actual handling of it... not so much.

E
eugene1
I look at it like this: You eat what the crabs ate.

I use fresh or frozen chicken.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
and never use anything that has been cooked, only raw bait...

N
NWnathan1981
When I was younger, my stepfather took me deep sea fishing all day once. Our plan was to fish all day and go crabbing later when we got back. Two problems took place while we were gone at sea. First we forgot to put the chicken in dry ice before we left for the day and the weather got really really hot, around 85 that day. Second the chicken was in a bucket in the back end of the truck and the lid had not got put on super tight. When we got back, what the birds had not ate was beyond rotted and make us sick for a good hour trying to pick it up. Being that I REALLY wanted crab, I used some anyway. I hit my limit in 20 mins. There were around 30 other people there around me, not one person could get anything.

Now I rot my chicken before using it for bait. I take it while fresh and put it in mesh bags with a rope to tie it down in trap later. Then I put them in a bucket and rot them for upto a week outside, depending on the heat. plug your nose good before opening.

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:
I look at it like this: You eat what the crabs ate.

I use fresh or frozen chicken.

Yeah, except I kind of doubt that they digested it and it became part of their flesh in the very short remainder of their lives.

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis said:
Yeah, except I kind of doubt that they digested it and it became part of their flesh in the very short remainder of their lives.

Wouldn't be an issue to me if they did!

I don't gut my crabs- just cook 'em whole. So whatever they ate goes into the pot..