Tips for a new Oregonian?

K
kingfish
Hey guys! I'm new to oregon and I'm excited to get out there and fish for steelhead the problem is I don't know where the good spots are, good rigs to use (personally I prefer spinners or jigs) and what times of the year are best to go out there I live fairly close to alsea but I'm open to try the Siletz or where over else that produces fish can you help me out???

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
I've not been down that way to fish yet...:blushing: so I can't give you any spots, but I would say put some gas in the car load up your spinners and jigs and head down to the river. Then spend some time watching some of the more popular areas. Then go fishing.
Good luck and welcome to Oregon

C
Combat Chuck
Well... you kinda just missed the season. Although, I do know there are some summer runs in the siletz but I know nothing about them. Lots of old Alsea posts on here to look over between now and december ;)

S
Steelheader4Life
The Siletz would be your best bet for summers and I've heard of a few caught already. Head to the upper river towards Moonshine Park anytime from now until the end of August (June and July is the peak of the run). There's plenty of bank access up there. Fish smaller offerings with lighter line. I like to run 8lb main and 6lb leaders. Spinners, bobber and jig/bead under a float, or drift fish a small chunk of bait (eggs, shrimp, prawn meat, etc.). During the week it's walk in only from the gate above moonshine up and during the weekend you can drive in. Get out and explore, I like to fish around mile marker 3, there's a lot of big boulders with little pockets that can be deadly with a spinner.

S
Steelheader4Life
I forgot one thing...you might want to try a crawdad tail. I heard they work alright ;)

K
kingfish
Thanks a lot guys!! I haven't been out to the Siletz yet but I'm excited to try!!