New to Oregon. wadeable streams?

S
sbtm
Just moved to the Salem area from Denver. Lots of big water out here, I'm looking for something smaller.

Just hiked the Silver falls trail this weekend, that was just the right size, but I'm looking for a little more solitude. Any suggestions? I'm also used to the rivers being open all year, but luckily I moved around the right time of the year.

Thanks for any input.

Dylan

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to Oregon, and to OFF.. Hang in there lots of members in your neck of the woods. I live south of you and we have a bit more of all year angling opportunities, you do have some great water for Steel and Chinook....
Tight lines and again welcome aboard..

Chuck

M
Modest_Man
Abiqua and Butte Creek are about the same size and have the same geology as Silver Creek. They open above the falls next weekend I believe.

N
nicholas
The upper Siletz is usually wadeable, and you I have always been able to find spots to myself. I believe its open all year for steelhead.

Reactions: Raincatcher
S
sbtm
Thanks for the info guys. I am interested in steelhead and salmon as well, I just figured I'd start with what I know!

Also, are most of these streams pretty well marked what is public access and what private property?

S
sbtm
Headed up to the Little North Fork of the Santiam today. Fished for an hour or so at bear Creek County Park with my 3wt. Caught and released 5 little guys.

I also stopped about 1.5 miles below the park where the bridge crosses the river. It was a very deep hole and there were a lot of fish in there. White/silver with a this black stripe running horizontally across the side. What kind of fish were those?

M
Modest_Man
Largescale suckers. They're getting their spawn on and are displaying their stripe.

S
sbtm
Thanks. I plan on getting out again sometime in the middle of next week. Is the fishing better higher up on the Little North Fork or should i try up past Detroit on the North Fork?

Thanks

S
SmallStreams
In the Cascades direction, try Middle Santiam Wilderness (1 mile hike-in after 15 miles of 4wd road, several miles hiking streamside) and Quartzville Creek (paved road, primarily before end of June). Going up to Detroit Lake, Breitenbush River is stocked, though access is a little tough unless you're in the uppermost reach; cold water.

These streams are cold, cold water, so fishing usually gets better in the afternoon this early in the season. Pretty dead in the mornings in my experience.

S
SmallStreams
Marys River above Philomath, Little Luckiamute wherever you can find access, South Yamhill River (stocked) from Fort Hill to Willamina. There have been nice trout plucked out of Rickreall Creek & the reservoir, but I've never tried it.

C
coloBrado
Dylan (SBTM) hey I'm in the same boat...leaving Colorado here in a few weeks and looking for water that is wadable and suitable for my equipment that i currently use here in colorado! ultimately want to get into the steelies and salmon runs but until i learn the tricks, i need to fish with what i have and what I'm familiar with as well....ive been trying to reach out and network hopefully this is the place...let me know if you found out anything that may help as well!

C
coyo7e
Just got back this morning from a weekend on the Middle North Fork Willy, caught a ton of little cutts and red-bands. Mostly waded in basketball shorts and river sandals, it was too warm and I didn't have time to hike in0water far enough to use my waders much. Never found any big fish but I was there with people so being able to play with a half-dozen 7 inchers back to back between other outings was super nice. With waders you might find some nice ones however, I suspect the good holes are heavily fished by locals from teh traffic I have seen along that forest road.. Good mushrooming as well in the right weather.

edit: someone cut off and stole the cast-iron water pumps at the campground I was staying at before we got there, so make sure to be self-sufficient if you head up there for more than a day-trip. And the true Middle Fork below 58 was covered in trash from peoples' bait containers.

Last edited: