Sign that it's a hold-over fish?

troutdude
troutdude
Hey gang; I have question. Is it true that you can spot a hold-over hatchery trout, by the horizontal lines on it's tail fin? Much like the rings, in a tree, telling the age?

For example...the tail fin of the middle fish in the pic below, starts out darkish. Then, there's stretch that's lighter in color. Then, the very end is darker again. So would that make that fish a one-year hold-over, starting to grow another darker ring in it's second year of growth?

Antelope flats fish pic.jpg

P.S. All 3 fish, were caught on the same day. The top one, is a cookie cutter hatch 'bow. The middle fish, was an 18 inch hold-over. The bottom one, a 19" fattie.

Y
Yogidabear
I don't know but the look like they are going to explode.

troutdude
troutdude
LOL Yeah; they were the fattest 'bows that I've ever seen. As plump as any from Diamond or Crane.

jamisonace
jamisonace
No clue about hold overs but great catch!

H
Hookset
Awesome catch.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks Jamie. Those biggies stripped line, like their sea run cousins.

P
playhooky
Yogidabear said:
I don't know but the look like they are going to explode.

Rainbows on steroids! Inflate those two fatties any more and things are gonna get messy [emoji15]. Nice fish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
Trav
Generally, by the way they fight. In my experience. The stockers flop a bit, and hit harder. The hold overs seem to be more cagey and are a little softer mouthed.

V
Veiði
troutdude said:
P.S. All 3 fish, were caught on the same day. The top one, is a cookie cutter hatch 'bow. The middle fish, was an 18 inch hold-over. The bottom one, a 19" fattie.

Great catch for sure! As I am new to OFF- is it considered bad form to ask where you caught these bad boys at? If so please disregard my last.

troutdude
troutdude
No problem. Normally, I don't mind telling. But this is a lake that, I really don't want the entire world to know about. In fact...when I caught those fish...there was a couple, who were taking 5 fish a day all over 20". Then they were smoking them, at their camp site (to "get rid" of evidence that, they were fishing illegally). The next year, there were NO fatties--and no fish over 13"). It will take a couple of years, for the lake to bounce back. Thanks to those poaching A$$hats!!!