Scuds in Oregon lakes

J
JHawk
Do Oregon lakes contain scuds? West side? East side? Cascade lakes?

brandon4455
brandon4455
im pretty sure there are a few lakes ine astern oregon that contain scuds..wallowa i believe? somebody correct me if i'm wrong, not a lake expert :lol:

T
the_intimidator03
brandon4455 said:
im pretty sure there are a few lakes ine astern oregon that contain scuds..wallowa i believe? somebody correct me if i'm wrong, not a lake expert :lol:

I do believe you are thinking of the mysis(sp) shrimp brandon. as for scuds im not sure the answer to that

brandon4455
brandon4455
the_intimidator03 said:
I do believe you are thinking of the mysis(sp) shrimp brandon. as for scuds im not sure the answer to that

see i knew i was wrong... :lol: thanks for correcting me

S
Sinkline
JHawk said:
Do Oregon lakes contain scuds? West side? East side? Cascade lakes?

Scuds are in the vast majority of Oregon lakes & reservoirs. Higher populations in the eastern desert lakes and lower populations heading west. There are two primary families of scuds in the western states and the only difference that matters to the fisherman is the size. By far and away the smaller size is most wide spread and really the only size an Oregon fly flinger needs to be concerned with imitating. A pattern about 3/16"-3/8" and tied light to medium olive is all ya need.

You often hear anglers talk of "shrimp" in a particular lake but what they are actually referring to is scuds.

Scuds, like leeches and snails are always available to the fish year around and are the primary reason lakes from central to eastern Oregon grow the largest fish in the shortest amount of time. Scuds are a crustacean and contain carotene which is what gives trout flesh a bright orange color.

Scud patterns are very effective fished below the indicator (bobber) in mild chop.

Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
troutdude
troutdude
Wow Randy, that was great! You should write a book...seriously!

G
GDBrown
Sinkline said:
.....Scud patterns are very effective fished below the indicator (bobber) in mild chop.

Randy

Where is the water column do you fish them? I've seen Brian Chan fish them on the TV shows but I can't remember how deep he was fishing them.

GD

PS: The article is worth reading....!

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
the article i posted talks about them being in less than 12 feet of water.

S
Sinkline
GDBrown said:
Where is the water column do you fish them? I've seen Brian Chan fish them on the TV shows but I can't remember how deep he was fishing them.

GD

PS: The article is worth reading....!

Gene, I often fish a scud just above the bottom, or over weed beds and a chironomid 18" above the scud. It is my opinion that fish are not smart enough to know where a food organism is, or isn't suppose to be located. If they see it, it looks like something alive, and it will fit in their mouth, they will eat it if they are actively feeding.

Just my opinion and how I look at stillwater trout fishing, I expect others will have their own opinions.

Randy