ODFW predicts it will have a $32 million dollar shortfall

bass
bass
Hmm, I wonder how much they could get per pound for sea lion meat..... nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

S
Seahawkfan
Lowering the age of juvenile license requirements would be a good start. Maybe its just me but when I see adults bring 6 kids fishing so they don't have to buy a license...well that really bugs me and its a loop hole that I think needs to be fixed.

JMO.

P
pinstriper
Seahawkfan said:
Lowering the age of juvenile license requirements would be a good start. Maybe its just me but when I see adults bring 6 kids fishing so they don't have to buy a license...well that really bugs me and its a loop hole that I think needs to be fixed.

JMO.

Or, require a juvenile license to be accompanied by a licensed adult.

Irishrover
Irishrover
This is working it's way through the legislature as we post. SB 247 would increase all fees and create new ones. The other push is for a share of the general fund. California and Washington both fund their DFWs budget with something in the area of 16 to 19 percent of the budget from general fund monies. Oregon in in the 3 percent range.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good idea guys. Let's keep increasing fees and make it more difficult and less appealing for people to actually but a licence.

The idiots running odfw think fishing and hunting is becoming less popular but have never considered that they have priced out their target market.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
this caught my attention from the audit report, these benefit estimates are per year numbers:

"Hunting, fishing, and wildlife viewing activities make a significant impact on the economy....National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife Associated Recreation found sportsmen and wildlife viewers contributed an estimated $2 billion to Oregon’s economy. (Hunters $432M, Anglers $574M, Wildlife Viewers $897M)!!! Oregon’s commercial fishing industry is another contributor to the state’s economy...estimated total economic effects...were at least $618 million for 2013. ODFW hatcheries have had more salmon return than necessary to produce the next generation of hatchery fish. Those extra salmon, which totaled over 350,000 pounds in 2014, were donated to food banks across the state." page 6

however from the ODFW 2015-2017 budget I notice:
(remember, these are 2 year budget numbers)
total: $345M
other funds: $175M (license fees look to be about $100M of this, Figure 9)
Fed funds: $139M
state money (General and Lottery): $32M

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/budget/docs/2015-17 ODFW Budget Overview 010515.pdf

Given that ODFW is responsible with managing and protecting resources that contribute so much to the state economy, isn't it a logical conclusion that ODFW is grossly underfunded by the state? I mean, double, triple, even quadruple the money coming from the general fund and it would be running a surplus, no license fee increases would be required, and it would still be a bargain...that's my 2cents. roger

P
pinstriper
jamisonace said:
Good idea guys. Let's keep increasing fees and make it more difficult and less appealing for people to actually but a licence.

The idiots running odfw think fishing and hunting is becoming less popular but have never considered that they have priced out their target market.

This.

Also, as a new angler, I have to say that reading the regulations is like doing your taxes.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
This.

Also, as a new angler, I have to say that reading the regulations is like doing your taxes.

regs are easier if you remember that they are 'like onions, or parfaits, they have layers...': general, zone, and special. each 'layer' overrules the layer above.

and regs are updated during the year. some changes are unplanned, some of the updates are scheduled (ocean salmon, bouy10, coastal fall salmon) and necessary each year because run predictions are not available until well after the perm. reg. booklets are published....

E
eugene1
I like your idea about more money from the state, roger, but I don't think anyone is going to step up and give up their chunk.

F
fish face
Another Government run organization crying poor. Hard to imagine.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Roger, you get the regs. That's obvious. But for most of us they are horribly confusing and possibly meant to be so as another opportunity to create revenue. They could write them so much more simply.

You must have an engineering mind. Compliment intended.