Is this a trout?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I've caught many stocked trout in my life, but this guy seems a little different. I got him from foster today tossing a wedding ring from shore. he is a beautiful fish. very clean.

the stocked trout I've caught are usually a little fat, and some times their heads are deform or their fins are torn. however, this fish is perfect though, and his adipose fins aren't clipped. he also has some worms in his gills, so I think he has been in there for quite a while -longer than the stocked trout. he fought a lot harder than a normal stocked trout too. his lower fins are very white, almost transparent.

a baby chinook maybe?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Looks like a stocker rainbow to me.

S
Socaaron
That my friend is a rainbow trout. Just because they put stockers into Foster doesn't mean that's all you'll catch. The South Santiam river system supports a healthy wild rainbow and cutthroat population..at least it did when I was a kid living on it's banks. I maybe wrong and theres not to say there's not some oddballs who hang around but generally by the time a juvenile chinook reaches that size they're headed back to the salt

PK Yi
PK Yi
cool. never caught a rainbow that looks that good before. he was released.

S
sapo
ya def a rainbow trout nice fish!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GungasUncle said:
Looks like a stocker rainbow to me.

agreed, standard rainbow from a lake...

Chromatose
Chromatose
sammy said:
cool. never caught a rainbow that looks that good before. he was released.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
On the Release!!!

bass
bass
Good looking fish, definitely could be a native. Good of you to release it!

D
dinghy
ODFW Recreation Report : FOSTER RESERVOIR: trout, bass, perch, catfish
This scenic 1,200-acre reservoir on the South Santiam River is located just 30 minutes from Interstate 5. There is good bank access at several rest stops and campgrounds, and three seasonal boat ramps. It will be stocked again this week with 5,000 legal size rainbow trout. Water level is still 27 feet below full pool so only Sunnyside Park boat ramp is available at this time.
Please remember that only kokanee and
adipose fin-clipped trout
may be kept and there are no limits on size or number of bass. From I-5 take US 20 east from Albany to the town of Sweet Home. The reservoir is 3 miles past the town on the left.