Guide recommendations???

L
littlefish
Hey guys,

Newbie here and not really sure where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a guide service. Want to surprise the bf with Salmon fishing when we are up in Portland at the end of June, but I'm not really sure if that is a good time to go fish for salmon as we are from California and usually fish for trout.

Thanks

D
DrTheopolis
Several guides here on OFF that can help you out. The end of June is when the salmon fishing in the tribs (smaller streams), depending on conditions. The Columbia usually starts heating up pretty good, but getting legal keepers can be a problem (unless they change the rules, which I hear has been proposed).

L
littlefish
Thanks! Will definitely check out this link!

L
littlefish
So you recommend smaller streams for Salmon at the end of June? That actually sounds pretty great. Used to fishing smaller streams out here.

What do you think about the Klickitat river at that time of the year?

M
Modest_Man
If it were me I'd look into a trip with Ed Fast on the Sandy in June.

troutdude
troutdude
^^^ What he said.

M
montym
Our forum member Tanner aka SteelmonKiller20 seems to be the most popular guide on this forum right now. Check out his pics and reviews, plenty of them to keep you busy for a good hour or two.

Cheers
Monty

PS: Tanner, that rates for a discount for our next trip? :)

O
OnTheDrop
montym said:
Our forum member Tanner aka SteelmonKiller20 seems to be the most popular guide on this forum right now. Check out his pics and reviews, plenty of them to keep you busy for a good hour or two.

Cheers
Monty

PS: Tanner, that rates for a discount for our next trip? :)

Yessir. 300$ for 2 until the 15th of April.

Looking forward to Salmon/Summers these next two months too. Thanks all,

D
DrTheopolis
littlefish said:
So you recommend smaller streams for Salmon at the end of June? That actually sounds pretty great. Used to fishing smaller streams out here.

What do you think about the Klickitat river at that time of the year?

I think I've fished the Klickitat for a total of about one hour in my life.

How the tribs do in late June depends a lot on how the weather goes through late spring -- which we never really know in the NW corner of the state. But more often than not, conditions are good, there's still decent Chinook in the rivers that get them, plenty of steelhead, and there's most likely enough water in the river for a decent float trip.

As far as which stream is best -- if I was spending money on a guide (like Tanner, for instance), I'd go where he recommends, since he's on the rivers every day, and has a pretty good ear to the ground for knowing what's up where.

Unless it's a disaster, I'm sure I'll be hitting up the Clackamas still. But much of that is due to convenience -- decent sized river, on the SE end of the Portland area, and it usually gets good numbers of fish.

T
twout
Google Jack or Brandon Glass, Team Hook Up. First class guides, always my first choice.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Mckenzie is a great choice for Springers and steelhead that time of year. It's in the Eugene area, a couple hours from Portland.

R
rakane
Can the OP fill us in? Who did you use? How was the trip?

L
littlefish
Ended up going with Tanner for this trip and had a great time on the Klackamas! Will definitely have to plan a fall trip next year!