Need info on banking fishing at Hagg

PK Yi
PK Yi
where are you favorite spots to fish along the bank at hagg? are weekdays usually busy where one has to fight for a spot?

S
Seahawkfan
Most people seem to bank fish around boat ramp C but there is plenty of bank access and fish are still close to the shore at this time of year.

Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude
Trout, bass, or???

For trout, I like the Sain Creek arm. But I did well, this year, by Ramp A. However, peeps got fish EVERYWHERE around the lake during the year's opener. I drove all around, and scoped it.

PK Yi
PK Yi
thanks guys. I mainly go for trout, but anything that bites is always good.

seems they are stocking 6000 more sometime this week.

L
Lonnielove32
Never had a bite the 4yrs I fished at hagg
You need a boat for this place

troutdude
troutdude
I've only been skunked once, in 6 or 7 years. All from the bank. Maybe change tactics, for success?

M
montym
Got to love Hagg if you are bank bound! Saw Troutdude get his fifer on the opening day at ramp A, seen huge brooders taken in ramps A and C, and frankly I consider it a bad day if I come back without a limit. At this moment apparently anywhere close to the bank is good, I prefer ramps A and C but there are folks who swear by the creek arms. Waiting eagerly for the water to warm up, can't wait to get all those warm water fish going.

I caught my first trout less than a year ago, so I am a noob to be honest!

Cheers
M

D
Denduran87
troutdude said:
I've only been skunked once, in 6 or 7 years. All from the bank. Maybe change tactics, for success?

Same here, I've fished that lake since I was a 10. Lot's of spots to fish boat ramp C is a decent spot any where to the fishing pier or all the way to the right. As a kid i liked, on really sunny days, to throw an egg hook with a little chunk of nitecrawler of the base of the pier and catch bluegill all day long off a super ultralite rod. I normally fish the bottom with power bait, power egg night crawler combo. Sometimes it helps to take some small white marshmallow and push them over the hook then the power bait. The big ones liked the power egg and nightcrawler combo, or anything black in color weather its a panther martin or a rooster tail.

K
K406
Lonnielove32 said:
Never had a bite the 4yrs I fished at hagg
You need a boat for this place
I've had the opposite luck; in my boat with my Dad we rarely get more than a bite, and lucky to get one fish at best. From the bank I rarely don't catch at least a couple, both on worms and powerboat off the bottom, or a lure casting and retrieving from the bank. .

My usual spots are by some pullout between ramp C and the dam. Only been out there once this year (with the boat), but will be going out there hopefully more soon in the evenings after work to bank fish.

W
wollybugger
459ba9866ebbda1464a632408ebb9328.jpg

Thanks to all the advice on OFF we've pulled some "monsters" out of Hagg!! Gotten some nice bites on ramp C - we've been using power eggs. But I'm sure they would be happy to gobble up another type of bait. I threw a couple of spoons today. Got a few nibbles. A guy last time says when you reel in some smaller trout that the bass will follow them in. Haven't caught one, but when it's warmer I imagine you'd be able to grab one up at the bank.

Best of luck! You will snag a lucky customer!

Reactions: rogerdodger
T
Trav
Last night at ramp C, dusk.

Last night at ramp C, dusk.

04-15-2015.jpg

T
Trav
Sunday 04-12-2015 Ramps A and C

Sunday 04-12-2015 Ramps A and C

22709_893202800722944_3947371793086134146_n.jpg

T
Trav
I run a basic Carolina rig, about a 2 foot leader. Power eggs for bait. Try a slow retrieve with double eggs on a 6 or 8 hook, they have a natural rotation that agitates the fish.

If you haven't switched to the Power eggs yet, do so! You'll spend more time with your line in the water and can usually get them back from a caught fish to reuse. Just swish them around in the jar and recast.

On a side note, also limited out on Tuesday at Sheradin Pond in less than an hour. If the windmill is going, fish behind it as it's also stirring up food and the trout are swarming behind it to feed.

T
Trav
Hagg bound after work!! Gotta love these longer days.. heh

K
K406
Trav said:
Hagg bound after work!! Gotta love these longer days.. heh
Same. Headed out there now. Report later...

T
Trav
Limited at dusk. Pics to follow. Chartreuse and orange power eggs. Ramp C.

T
Trav
440b7f5c013ca60a5ee0cb1779f43646.jpg888c5e5f49de937680ed8306a2315f1b.jpg809c012ccdcf67d98979ed2fd2ba601e.jpg96fe785b5c27d402d21468e29961a089.jpg6b0effac547f41f018cb1135e534b921.jpg17d26968bda9f7b22c2ae7c8890a0ccc.jpg6679f94bbea78a03ca7d188449e95245.jpgcc64f6e509eda1a978b47c4416177a04.jpg01d074bc1a22c8f00db0f953f919d7f1.jpg

T
Trav
Oh, and I nipped off the barbs on the hooks I used last night. Never lost a fish I had on the line and was able to not damage them removing it. It felt a lot less cruel once I had them up on the bank.

T
Trav
K406 said:
Same. Headed out there now. Report later...

How'd ya do last night man?

troutdude
troutdude
Trav said:
Oh, and I nipped off the barbs on the hooks I used last night. Never lost a fish I had on the line and was able to not damage them removing it. It felt a lot less cruel once I had them up on the bank.

If you're planning to release a fish, it's not a good idea to plop them onto the bank.