Gear ties

P
pinstriper
So, after struggling mightily with a one piece rod that won't fit in the car or camper, and two piece rods that are a pain in the butt, because they're, you know, TWO PIECES held together by a thread...I was musing on how to keep them in order when not assembled. After seeing some velcro and neoprene doo-dads for $20, labeled "rod straps" or something like that...it finally hit me at home depot. They have these things called Gear Ties. A stiff but bendable wire in a rubber skin. Bend it, it stays put. Used for wrapping electric cords and the larger ones for hoses and such.

But they have these 6" jobs, perfect for wrapping two piece rods together and keeping them manageable.

I can't be the first to think of this, but maybe I am, since I've been asking for solutions at Fisherman's, 2 different Bimarts, and the Big C. Nobody had any ideas better than rubber bands. And get this - Big C carries the gear ties in their camping section, and never made the connection.

P
playhooky
So sounds like Gear Ties might do the job of keeping your two-piece rod together (as do rubber bands). The downside of rubber bands is that they're good for a little while, they get gummy, they get brittle in the sun, they're a nuisance to get in and out of your pockets, they give up and break but the good thing about em is they're everywhere and usually free with your newspaper or wherever else you can snag em up. So what does a pack of Gear Ties cost? I've got a suggestion for whatever it's worth and these little gizmos work perfect for my rods. Swing by your local Dollar Store and pick up a 30 pack of Hair Ties (for ponytails or braids) for a buck.....or if you lose a lotta stuff or have lots of rods, buy two packs....it'll cost ya two bucks. They'll never hurt your $240 rods, they're soft, one size fits all, you can get all black or a mixed bag of colors if you like, they're dirt cheap and they work like really well for rod management. Just a thought.....beats Velcro for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
I tend to use Velcro, but I have a good supply of it for work, so that makes it the go-to.

P
pinstriper
6" Gear Ties 2-pack (perfect for on rod) was less than $3 at both HD and Cabela's.

Not Dollar Store cheap, but cheap. They come in colors. To my mind, the bright orange or bright zombie green are the proper choice to keep from losing them when you drop them. Black, and even the blue, will be harder to find in the parking lot, much less the grass or gravel.

I think if you were dealing with thick boat rods or surf casting rods you'd need to go up a size.

S
Seahawkfan
Good Idea. When I must break my rods (usually when hiking in) I use these.

E
eugene1
I don't use gear ties for rods, but I use the larger ones to keep my boat top from flying away while trailering. They work great, but after about 100 twists and untwists they will fail on you. Nice product, and a slight upgrade from the old electrician's trick of using 12 gauge copper wire.

M
montym
This works for me.

5 rods, all set to be carried on my shoulder leaving my hands free....can take more easily.

Cheers
M

Full.jpgCrop.jpg

H
Hookset
I also use the dollar store hair tie. They work great and last a lot longer then rubber bands.

S
SteelieRn
Double sided velcroe. You can buy a roll at Home Depot for about $10 and cut to size.