Anyone use yarn balls for trout in lakes?

M
montym
They float, are highly visible and retain scent for a long time; so I am kind of wondering why I do not hear about anyone using it? I tried one out at Hagg today, but the bite was awefully slow today so I do not yet know if it was a really stupid idea or just a plain bad day. Used it in combination with a power egg. It did get a few nibbles, but not a single good bite. Caught two on the other rod on power eggs, in about 4 hours of fishing. No luck with spinners and spoons. Hardly anyone was getting anything at ramp A. Gent next to me seemed to get the max no of bites using some whitish colored power bait, I think probably he had 6 good bites in about 3 hours or so but all those fish were very lightly hooked and 3 got off before he could land them.

Cheers
Monty

S
sapo
I've tried egg patterns for trout in lakes, they haven't been great but they can sometimes be ok. I wouldn't use them anymore, though.

S
Steelheader4Life
montym said:
They float, are highly visible and retain scent for a long time;

They don't float enough to stay off the bottom. You would have better luck fishing them under a bobber.

M
montym
Put a power egg + a tiny yarn ball, floated just fine.

S
Steelheader4Life
montym said:
Put a power egg + a tiny yarn ball, floated just fine.

I guess I should have read a little farther! :)

Y
Yogidabear
use ear plugs don't laugh it works

T
Trav
Yogidabear said:
use ear plugs don't laugh it works

This is brilliant! Do you use the "pellet" shaped ones or? The entire plug or do you trim it down at all?

J
JeannaJigs
The problem with still water is that they take their time and nibble, and yarn isn't something too desirable when nibbled. In moving water it's flying by their face and they just go for it without thinking twice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

J
JustMe
Yeah, what she said. ^^^^