First fish!

P
pinstriper
Not counting the sturgeon I landed years ago, because the guide hooked it and handed me the pole.

Thanks to Tanner, I got my first fish, from cast to hookset to the net ! Had 3 bites before that spit the bead, because I didn't know what was happening and quite what to do ! But Tanner's patience and teaching I figured it out, landed this native, plus a smaller hatchery that I kept and ate (pic to follow).

First Fish Steelhead.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger
S
Seahawkfan
pinstriper said:
Not counting the sturgeon I landed years ago, because the guide hooked it and handed me the pole.

Thanks to Tanner, I got my first fish, from cast to hookset to the net ! Had 3 bites before that spit the bead, because I didn't know what was happening and quite what to do ! But Tanner's patience and teaching I figured it out, landed this native, plus a smaller hatchery that I kept and ate (pic to follow).

Well done Sir!

T
Toyracer38
Congrats! That's a beautiful Native.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
native chrome! excellent...

hobster
hobster
Beauty! Another satisfied customer, Tanner's the man!

P
pinstriper
Thanks for the support and encouragement, folks.

Things I learned, and I'm passing these on for other rookies:

1.There's a 4 o'clock in the morning. In my world, 4 o'clock only happens once a day. Who knew ?

2. Whatever "waterproof" gear you have, go out now and buy something better. Today. You can never be too dry in a downpour.

3. You know how most of your knowledge of fishing comes from watching the bass pros on TV on Sunday morning ? Well, it turns out you can't pick up a steelhead by sticking your thumb in its mouth like it's a bass. Trust me on this one.

D
DrTheopolis
If I get up at 4AM, a fish is going to pay for my inconvenience with its life.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
3. You know how most of your knowledge of fishing comes from watching the bass pros on TV on Sunday morning ? Well, it turns out you can't pick up a steelhead by sticking your thumb in its mouth like it's a bass. Trust me on this one.

:lol::lol::lol: I learned a couple years ago that rule applies to fall chinook salmon also...big sharp pointy teeth, ouch ouch...:D:D:D

O
OnTheDrop
You crack me up, Mark. Was a pleasure meeting you. Glad the fish were cooperating, too!

See you for Springers!

P
Pni_fisherdude
Yeah thanks for a great day on the water. I still think Mark is
full of it and that he has caught a ton of fish in his life time. Also wanted to say thanks to Josh for handing me the rod and letting me catch a nice native. Maybe next time this crazy Micronesian will bring his handline. Hopefully this link works. It should be of my baby marlin that I caught on a handline.

https://m.facebook.com/115299091883...1427063400./120684441344864/?type=1&source=42

O
OnTheDrop
Awesome dude!

P
pinstriper
Oh, and what's this I see in the ad for that driftboat in the "Sell" section, where it had a propane heater ?? Dude !

P
pinstriper
Pni_fisherdude said:
Yeah thanks for a great day on the water. I still think Mark is
full of it and that he has caught a ton of fish in his life time. Also wanted to say thanks to Josh for handing me the rod and letting me catch a nice native. Maybe next time this crazy Micronesian will bring his handline. Hopefully this link works. It should be of my baby marlin that I caught on a handline.

https://m.facebook.com/115299091883...1427063400./120684441344864/?type=1&source=42

I don't think you are remembering the multiple times I almost took your eye out while casting with the bail closed, nor the buzzing sound that braided line makes on the way off the reel when it's in contact with a dude's head.

But I thank you for the excellent company and your patience and forbearance, and take your incredulity as a compliment that I didn't TOTALLY embarrass myself. Next time you get the starboard seat.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Nice looking fish, from earlier posts it sounds like you guys had way too much fun.

E
eugene1
Good job Tanner and pinstriper!

Great to see an angler in the making (and a steelheader at that)!

P
pinstriper
eugene1 said:
Good job Tanner and pinstriper!

Great to see an angler in the making (and a steelheader at that)!

When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

J
Jdangler xD
Nice fish! Keep up the nice work

D
DrTheopolis
pinstriper said:
Oh, and what's this I see in the ad for that driftboat in the "Sell" section, where it had a propane heater ?? Dude !

Looks to be a Clackacraft from the pics.

Propane heaters + fiberglass (aka "hottub") boats = No Good

P
pinstriper
DrTheopolis said:
Looks to be a Clackacraft from the pics.

Propane heaters + fiberglass (aka "hottub") boats = No Good

All I know is I was near hypothermic, and I would have felt even worse if I knew some guys have propane heaters !

O
OnTheDrop
Damn buddy, making me feel bad. You'll never be in a boat of mine without a heater again, bud!