Clamming this weekend

jamisonace
jamisonace
Are there any mid or south coast clammers out there? We've decided to do a quick weekend getaway and I'm hoping to do some clamming with the kids on the negative tides.

I'd prefer to stay between Coos Bay and Newport. Any suggestions on areas to try would be great. Taking my drift boat is a possibility if it would help.

Thanks!

T
troutmasta
Dont know any spots down that way, but the clamming is hot up here right now.

Have fun Jamie!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've heard it's great up North. I'm hoping some of that action is happening down south too.

Does anyone have any experience in Siletz Bay?

troutdude
troutdude
Since when did Siletz Bay, become in-between Coos Bay & Newport? Do you have some super powers that, we are unaware of?

<just yankin' your chain buddy...LOL...hope you do well, where ever you wind up>

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know, I know....I'm just trying to figure out where to go.

Now I'm thinking Coos Bay. Having a hard time deciding what to do!

F
flocaster
Any specific clam species you're looking to find? That would influence my choice more than most all else

jamisonace
jamisonace
No, just want to get dirty with the kids. Preferably razors or other larger species though.

F
flocaster
If that's the case I would suggest going for gapers and butter clams in Coos Bay. Pigeon Point in the Empire area of the bay has a pretty sizable population of both and access is fairly easy. It's a mix of mud and river type rock that's not the easiest to dig in but the rewards are well worth the effort, I've never left without my limit :D

jamisonace
jamisonace
flocaster said:
If that's the case I would suggest going for gapers and butter clams in Coos Bay. Pigeon Point in the Empire area of the bay has a pretty sizable population of both and access is fairly easy. It's a mix of mud and river type rock that's not the easiest to dig in but the rewards are well worth the effort, I've never left without my limit :D

Thank you. That's topping the list. Where is the access point?

F
flocaster
Here is a Google maps shot of Pigeon Point. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3595734,-124.304154,784m/data=!3m1!1e3 There is a small pull-off on the bay side of the road just south of Beacon Lane, that's where I usually go. Head out from the pull off in North Westerly direction and you'll know when you're in em....there will be squirts and shows EVERYWHERE! LOL. There's even the bonus of possibly finding a few cockles and littlenecks in the sandier areas. Best of luck to you guys, be sure to post a report!

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks Flo! I really appreciate the help. I'll let you know we do

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks Roger. I never would have seen that without you pointing it out. Thanks for looking out.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
flocaster said:
Here is a Google maps shot of Pigeon Point. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3595734,-124.304154,784m/data=!3m1!1e3 There is a small pull-off on the bay side of the road just south of Beacon Lane, that's where I usually go. Head out from the pull off in North Westerly direction and you'll know when you're in em....there will be squirts and shows EVERYWHERE! LOL. There's even the bonus of possibly finding a few cockles and littlenecks in the sandier areas. Best of luck to you guys, be sure to post a report!

Thanks for the info for clammin' @ Pigeon Point. Fred

jamisonace
jamisonace
See you there in the morning Fred? Well be there at daylight.

F
FishOn420
jamisonace said:
See you there in the morning Fred? Well be there at daylight.

My buddy just went clamming for Razor clams with a few of his buddies north of Lincoln city and they each caught their limit fairly quick. They ocean level was at -6 which helped a bit.

F
flocaster
Fish-On Fred said:
Thanks for the info for clammin' @ Pigeon Point. Fred

No problem guys! hope you did well!

jamisonace
jamisonace
We are on the way home now. We ended up with two quick limits. We had an absolute blast. Thanks again. Will definitely be heading back for more. What a great time.

I haven't counted but I think we got about 10 gapers and the rest were butters.

F
flocaster
Awesome, glad to hear it! It's always nice to hear someone did well off your advice lol

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
We are on the way home now. We ended up with two quick limits. We had an absolute blast. Thanks again. Will definitely be heading back for more. What a great time.

I haven't counted but I think we got about 10 gapers and the rest were butters.

excellent!

update on razors- State Shellfish safety folks just updated the closure based on new data from Florence (wink wink), razors now open to the south jetty of Siuslaw River...still closed from there to CA border.

http://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/SimpleViewer/index.html?appid=821de5a7b9004fa2b64aca73a7f604ef

cheers, roger