Info on locating surfperch

2PawsRiver
Seems I read or heard somewhere that you can call the Oregon Department of Natural Resources and they can update you on the location of surfperch along the coast...........or am I nuts.:D

Lots of good info on how to fish for them......is one part of the trip that we are all looking forward to.

bass
bass
Never heard of that and I am not sure what they could say. There are perch all up and down the coast. They are a schooling fish so you need to hunt for them but once you find them it is game on. The schools move around a lot so a spot that was good yesterday or even last tide might be empty next time you fish. Keep moving till you hit paydirt. If the bite stops move. The idea is that you should either be catching fish or looking for your next spot.

2PawsRiver
Thank you for the advice......actually called Oregon Fish and Game, they had not heard of it either.....must have been a dream. :)

S
SailCat
A steep beach or obvious low spot will be more productive than a shallow beach with little change in depth. WHile variations are best observed prior top fishing at low tide, the ocean will break closer to the beach in a low spot or when it deepens more abruptly (as with a steep beach. Near a river mouth or bay entrance is always worth investigating.

You don'e indicate what part of the coast you'll be fishing but I'll bet some of the OFFers will be happy to help with areas that have been productive. I certainly will do so if you're in an area with which I'm familiar.

2PawsRiver
Thank you......will be fishing initially in the Tillamook area.....but a few days later may try down by Newport.

S
SailCat
While it is very true that beaches and productive surf perch spots change (and can do so drastically) over winter months, try the beach at Cape Meares. It gravel but one year a "reef" built up about 50 years out, causing waves to break there and a lagoon to form. I caught not only surf perch but large kelp greenling there although that was a 'first and only' for the latter. I have also had good luck at Oceanside (north of Netarts). Walk through the tunnel which goes through the point to the beach on the north side. If the surf is breaking close to the beach, there should be redtails there. There used to be a rest area just out of Rockaway (heading north) where surf perch fishing was consistently good. The rest area is gone but the spot might endure as it was just south of the Nehalem jetty. Finding access might be tricky but may also be well worth a try.

Tight lines and please post back with your results!

J
Jdangler xD
Fished outside cannon beach this week. Was cold. No perch. Moved up caught a cutthroat and missed a steelie.

2PawsRiver
Can't believe in a month we'll be fishing in Oregon.....have really enjoyed planning the trip. Really looking forward to fishing for Surfperch....we're pretty lucky, one of the members from this site is going to meet us and make sure we don't look like complete dummies......Monday a Sturgeon Charter, then Tues and Wed fishing the Deschutes River, then Thur and Friday on the Metolius River....should be epic.

J
Jdangler xD
I've done all of that but never so action packed. It should be epic! All of those are my favorite things to do in oregon

B
bythesea
sounds like a plan...good Luck!!!!!!!!!!FISH-ON