Rod type for float n' jig?

troutdude
troutdude
I'm lookin' at gettin' a new rod, for float n' jig fishing for summer steel. I know that I want a medium light action, 10 or 10.5' rod. But, do I get a spin rod or a casting rod?

So, I'd like to hear about any pro's or con's you may have. Spin or cast? There's some on sale now, so I'm planning ahead.

M
mrlindeman
Heck I have tried them both and centrepin. I have to say the best for me is still spin reel. I can leave the bail open and feed for a drag free drift. I can also hookset this way as well. There are actually some advanced metthods to using a spin reel that will outperform both casting and centerpin. I use an Okuma Celio 9 foot 6 inch medium light action rod. Very affordable and strond with a great backbone for hook setting and a great tip for feel and sensitivity. I use 12 LB High vis mainline and 6 or 10 LB leader for water conditions. The reel is an Okuma Safina pro. 5:3:1 gear ratio. Its not as good as a 5:2:1 but its great for the work. A ten foot rod is just as well but I hike a lot and fear a tip snap from some of the bushes I have to whack to get to some of the places I fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks Mr. L. I hadn't thought about free spooling, with spin reel. That's a good idea. I'm also akin to switchin' up to spoons / spinners too.

Good point, on bangin' the rod around as you work along the shoreline. The rod I'm lookin' at is one the new Eagle Claw S-Glass composite jobs. They are on sale at Bi-Mart for $70 (down from $100). Less chance to break the rod, but still something to keep in mind.

I'm not sure that I want a 4 - 8 lb. rating though. I like your line ratings of 6 - 10 better. I'll likely keep looking. But, am open to hearing from more OFFers too.

K
Kevinb5688
I also got the okuma celio 9'6 last week. Its not a bad rod for the price. I would get another one.
I fish with high vis. 12 lb p-line and 8 lb liter.
For lure fishing a 7'6 med. Action or med. Light works best for me. I caught that 17 lb fish on that rod. I use 15 lb line on that because i dont like losing lures and my hook will usually bend out before my line breaks. Good luck

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah go for a spinning rod

troutdude
troutdude
Kevinb5688 said:
17 lb fish on that rod. I use 15 lb line on

I'll be fishing for smaller summer runs, with the rod in question. So, I won't be using it with 15 lb. line.

V
veilside180sx
That rod is a Wright McGill btw. They aren't the best rod, but they are good enough for what you want to do with it.

Make sure you purchase the Medium Drifter and not the lighter "float" rod. The 4-8 is way to light for any decent size fish in that particular rod line.

I
imfishing
Greetings All.

Since You Asked:

For My Float Rod I Use the G Loomis STR 1263c [GL3] w/ An Abu Garcia Revo SX L HS [30# P-Pro Hi-Vis Bumbered To 30# P-Pro Moss].

Lots Of Back Bone And Plenty Of Finesse. I Use A Matching Rig For My Drift Setup, Only That One Has The Revo STX L HS.

...Phantasmagorical.

Soon I Would Like Chad [Steel Head Stalkers] To Build Me A Rod Of The Same Specs Only Use The New Loomis Blanks Complete With Balonium Guides, Un-Obtanium Reel Seat And Cubic Vernonia Handle...:shock:

:cool:

P.S.:

You Mentioned Switching It Up For Spinners/Spoons:

1. IMHO - Its To Cumbersome To Use As A Spinner Rod. ;)

2. It Floats/Drifts Awesome On The Large Rivers, But Scrapes The Sides At Gnat/Big/Eagle Creek. Just Sayin...:lol:

Kind Regards...

F
fish4life
I have used rods 8.5 to 10.5 feet unless you are fishing big water I wouldn't go with a really long rod it makes it harder to land fish if your by yourself and if there is brush around can be a pain in the butt. If you plan on fishing bubbles you will want a little stiffer rod. When throwing bubbles I use a rod weighted for 8-17# line if I'm fishing foam or light floats I use a rod rated up to 12# line. If using mono I run 8# ultragreen. I also use 14# fireline with mono leader below the float. and I also prefer spin reels.

H
halibuthitman
I have a WM plug rod and the medium drifter, I will say both rods have amazing sensitivity and action... otherwise they are poorly built new fangled pieces of ****.. wheres the cork? dad my hands are cold...

Chromatose
Chromatose
Spin/Caster
Spinning rods, the Spine is located on the underside. Bait caster, the spine is located on the up side. You can use a spinning reel on a bait casting rod, but it might prove interesting to use a spinning reel on a bait caster. Guides on a bait caster are smaller than a spinning rod. Bait Casting Rods, there is a wrap that is called Spiral/Acid wrap where the guides start out on top but take a twist to the underbelly of the blank, but that is another conversation. The butt sections tend to be a bit shorter on a spinning rod. Light to Med action for summer use IMO will be a must. A longer blank will be a better choice as for the lighter lines used in the Summer months. Longer blanks take more of the action inabeling the fisherman/woman to use light lines. The problem with using a spinning reel while float fishing is that there is a small hesitation when the line hits the spool, this will effect your presentation. Also,try setting the hook with the bail open on a spinning reel. With a bait caster reel you can let out line free-spooling with out any hesitation in your presentation. Hook sets are much easier with the thumb click. Not that a spinning reel can not get the job done. Just there are better and more productive ways of getting the same job done. Glass VS Composites is another conversation.....

troutdude
troutdude
veilside180sx said:
That rod is a Wright McGill btw. Make sure you purchase the Medium Drifter and not the lighter "float" rod. The 4-8 is way to light for any decent size fish in that particular rod line.

Oh yeah, you're right...it's a W & McG. I agree; the "float rod' is too light. That's the first reason why I posted my questions. Thanks.

troutdude
troutdude
imfishing said:
[30# P-Pro Hi-Vis Bumbered To 30# P-Pro Moss].

Its To Cumbersome To Use As A Spinner Rod. ;)

Good point; about being to cumbersome for a spin rod. I've got to agree, now that you mentioned it.

Is the 30# you use "mono"? If so, why so heavy for Summer run fish?

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
I have a WM plug rod and the medium drifter, I will say both rods have amazing sensitivity and action... otherwise they are poorly built new fangled pieces of ****.. wheres the cork? dad my hands are cold...

The "flex" and sensitivity of the fiberglass, is what drew me to them. But, the "cold hands" <LOL> is probably the main reason that I didn't buy one yesterday.

troutdude
troutdude
Chromatose said:
The butt sections tend to be a bit shorter on a spinning rod.

Light to Med action for summer use IMO will be a must. A longer blank will be a better choice as for the lighter lines used in the Summer months.

The problem with using a spinning reel while float fishing is that there is a small hesitation when the line hits the spool, this will effect your presentation.

Also,try setting the hook with the bail open on a spinning reel.

Glass VS Composites is another conversation.....

I like the longer butt sections on the casting rods. (I have several of each spinning and casting rods, btw, for different types of fishing...just looking to get one more specific to foam / balsa floatin' for summers).

Yes, light to medium action is what I'm planning. But now, maybe not a 10+ footer but maybe 9'. But, a reason that I had been considering a 10 footer...is that I've heard it's easier to "high stick" the rod tip and keep your line OFF the water. True? Not?

Setting the hook with a spin bail open, is an idea that I'll pursue.

Yeah that W & McG. rod(s), is/are a "composite". I'd really rather have true glass (or graphite); and not some funky "Vulcan Mind Melding" of the two!

I
imfishing
troutdude said:
Is the 30# you use "mono"? If so, why so heavy for Summer run fish?

I Use Power Pro 30# Hi Vis Braid For the Main Line, Then I Double UNI In About 30 to 40 Feet Of Power Pro 30# Moss Braid, Then A 10#, Or A 12# Mono Leader.

Hope This Helps.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for letting me hijack my thread here. The topic was originally about the "rod type". Oh well...guess it's okay, since it's my thread. ;)

OK. So, it's braided line that you're using. 10-4.

But, why such heavy mono leader? I think that most peeps, don't use much more than 8# for summers. I know that I haven't.

Chromatose
Chromatose
"But, a reason that I had been considering a 10 footer...is that I've heard it's easier to "high stick" the rod tip and keep your line OFF the water. True? Not?"

Your right on with that thought.

troutdude
troutdude
Chromatose said:
Your right on with that thought.

OK. :cool:

I've heard the same concept is good, for better spoon/spinner control/presentation too.

V
veilside180sx
troutdude said:
OK. :cool:

I've heard the same concept is good, for better spoon/spinner control/presentation too.

8'6-9' rod for spinner/spoon fishing

9'6'-10'6" for float fishing

Those are my preferences FWIW