Floating or sink-tip?

S
sapo
I'm probably going to be purchasing a 6 or 7 weight switch rod soon to use in the Deschutes and bigger rivers for steelhead and trout...I'm curious about what line to get. I will probably mainly be swinging flies, so I'm wondering whether I should get a sink-tip line or a floating one? Any opinions? What do you steelhead fly fishermen use?

O
OnTheDrop
Get a skagit in the 450-475 Grain, and some T-8 & T-11 sink tips. That will get you swinging almost everything over there.

T
TimberTodd
I know nothing about switch rods or casting them, but my suggestion would be a floating line with a couple of sink tips that have different sink rates. Have fun with it sapo and let us known what you decide on.

B
Billamicasr
Another thought. You may end up with a bunch of spare spools to cover conditions met. One thought is to buy a reasonable priced fly reel so the spare spools are doable even if you don't use them much.

One of my favorite lines is a shooting head. It is 30' of fly line with a pile of backing under it. If on the bank, you'll be amazed at the casting distance attained on those wide tail-outs on the lower Deschutes. If you are in a boat, a shooting head makes it so much easier to pull flys (like Hot-Shotting) through productive runs.

The Deschutes is a wonder of a river; the only place I've been when you can hang over the bow of a raft and almost touch the Steelhead as they part for you to drift on by. I've seen it where there are literately hundreds to be watched. What's worse if when you know they are there, but they won't take anything you are offering. That's when I'd try an all black WoolyBugger tied on a #2 or 4 light wire Mustad (don't think they even make the hook anymore). May still be a workable fly, even if tied on another brand of hook; you may wish to keep it in mind.

I've read the rule of thumb is to use a shooting head that is 2 1/2 to 3 times the length of the rod being used. I must admit that's too technical for me; back when I used them, I believe everyone used a 30 foot head; opinions abound, I'm sure. Shooting heads are available in floating and various sinking versions. I have a floater for shallow tail-outs and a heavy weight sinker for winter fish to get the fly deep quick; haven't used either in at least 10-15 years LOL!

Don't know if the rant helped or hindered your quest for the perfect drift; just thought I'd share the thought.

J
JonT
Summer on the D is funnest (to me) with a Scandi setup. Nothing like topwater strikes. Also, if you get a floating line you can always add tips.

G
Grifter
On my 7wt switch I've been tossing the Rio Switch Chucker (465gr)--it really bombs out, say, a big heavy articulated MOAL leech with ease. It's a little indelicate at times, but for swinging with a switch, it's fantastic. I've used with great success getting egg patterns out far and into distant slots for chinook. And I'd go with either the Spey VersiLeader or MOW Tips, depending on the conditions--just get a variety of them. Keep in mind that people will have their own biases and preferences, and some purists will swear that the only way to swing for Deschutes summer steel is with a floating tip (and I agree with the allure of those upper-column strikes--too much fun). But there are plenty of roads to get where you're going. The best plan is to be all Boy Scout about it and 'be prepared' for the conditions with at least a couple different easily-changeable tips.

O
OnTheDrop
Great advice ^^^

S
sapo
Thanks!

S
Stonefish
Billamicasr said:
Another thought. You may end up with a bunch of spare spools to cover conditions met. One thought is to buy a reasonable priced fly reel so the spare spools are doable even if you don't use them much.

One of my favorite lines is a shooting head. It is 30' of fly line with a pile of backing under it. If on the bank, you'll be amazed at the casting distance attained on those wide tail-outs on the lower Deschutes. If you are in a boat, a shooting head makes it so much easier to pull flys (like Hot-Shotting) through productive runs.

The Deschutes is a wonder of a river; the only place I've been when you can hang over the bow of a raft and almost touch the Steelhead as they part for you to drift on by. I've seen it where there are literately hundreds to be watched. What's worse if when you know they are there, but they won't take anything you are offering. That's when I'd try an all black WoolyBugger tied on a #2 or 4 light wire Mustad (don't think they even make the hook anymore). May still be a workable fly, even if tied on another brand of hook; you may wish to keep it in mind.

I've read the rule of thumb is to use a shooting head that is 2 1/2 to 3 times the length of the rod being used. I must admit that's too technical for me; back when I used them, I believe everyone used a 30 foot head; opinions abound, I'm sure. Shooting heads are available in floating and various sinking versions. I have a floater for shallow tail-outs and a heavy weight sinker for winter fish to get the fly deep quick; haven't used either in at least 10-15 years LOL!
Don't know if the rant helped or hindered your quest for the perfect drift; just thought I'd share the thought.

Bill,
30' head then backing?
Were you using Amnesia, Miracle Braid or something similar to serve as both the running line and backing on your shooting head set-up?
Just curious how you had everything set-up.
SF

B
Billamicasr
Sometimes my descriptions leave a bit to be desired; what I meant was we'd wind on the running line (backing) then add the shooting head.
I started with a 3 3/8 Hardy Princess with two spare spools and figured out very quick that was too expensive. Then I found the Scientific Angler reels and bought two reels one small one S1 456 with extra spools for my creek work and the larger one a S1 678 for larger waters and Steelhead. The SciAngler reels were 1/4th the cost of a Hardy so it was easy to buy four or 5 extra spools. Never had any problems with either brand of reel.

I remember the name Sunset Amnesia, which is one I've used and also Cortland made a good running line I used, but don't remember what it was called.

B
bigboy70
I have an Echo SR 8wt running all kinds of sink tips conditions pending 510 grain floating head to a mono type of running line OPST running line to a hundred yards of backing. The thing bombs the big bugs way out I dig it. The mono type of running line made a big difference with casting for me anyways.