The wood drift-boat and a couple old photos.

B
Billamicasr
In the mid 70’s I was a roommate of Don Hill when he had his boat shop out on Clearwater Lane in Springfield. In one of the photos you’ll see a photo of Don on the right, and that’s me on the left. I doubt you could recognize either of us today, from this photo.

The boat in the photo was for me. A 16’ standard; no high sides, no guide’s model, just the regular old McKenzie River drift-boat. I ran this boat on the Deschutes, the Rogue, the McKenzie, Lake Creek and many others. If I ever had another drift-boat I’d want the very same one.

Wood drift boat are never too hot and never too cold, they are very quiet compared to aluminum, the standard model is a cork on the water and so easy to row. It is not bothered by the up-current afternoon winds and you can ferry from one bank to the other with just a twist of the wrist and not go downstream once you’ve caught the chine. I went through class three Whitewater standing up with one knee on the rope seat; admittedly I sat down and was careful at Whitehorse rapids on the Deschutes, but in most cases the boat gave me added abilities.

Don is of course out of business; his health did not allow him to continue. A few years ago I visited with Greg Tatman (wood boat builder) and his son in Eugene; they tell me they have the original plans to build this very same boat. The boats I inspected in his boat shop look to be of similar quality to the ones Built at Don’s shop. I doubt I’ll get one, but it was fun to talk with the Tatmans.

BTW: The drift-boat in the photos was sold a long time ago, Since that first one, I’ve owned two other Don Hill wood drift-boats and one Koffler high/wide Aluminum 16’ drift-boat, which was okay but way too heavy in comparison; and no chines.

• 001 Don Hill Driftboat 1.jpg
  • 001 Don Hill Driftboat 2.jpg
  • 001 Don Hill Driftboat 3.jpg
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
beautiful boats...

Chromatose
Chromatose
Thanks for the post. Removed some cob webs for me and gave me quite a few Great memories............:thumb:

S
Seahawkfan
Spotted that Budweiser in the cup holder a mile away. Really nice craftsmanship on the boats.

E
eugene1
Wood dbs are so cool! thanks for the pics, Bill.

Got to respect them since the owners need to maintain them at a higher level than an Aluminum or glass boat.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Where did the time go! I remember those days well. Thanks for a great post.

M
MBevans
Wood boats are cool! And quiet! They don't ring like a bell when they find that sub surface rock. I think my aluminum drift boat scares fish for a mile when it rings/hits...

K
knucklehead 61
nice looking driftboats!
i have only been in one once down the mckenzie, but the memory of that trip will last a lifetime. such a beautiful river to float down.

my2labs
my2labs
Look at how beautiful she was! I can only hope that my restore is 1/2 as pretty as yours was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk