Trolling direction

G
Gonzo
I'm new to trolling herring on the Willamette for springers. Question (maybe stupid)....... why do people troll in both directions (at least when I'm out) in the M channel or the main river? Don't you want to troll downstream unless the the tide is so strong it negates the river's current? Aren't fish pointing upstream like in the tribs? thanx

D
DirectDrive
Troll downhill (downstream) for the best effect.
The fish will jump on either way, but you will show your wares to more fish going downhill.
When you power back up, watch your wake in regards to the other trollers.

It isn't always possible to do this, depending on the area.
The "Powerlines" for example will give a taste of both directions.

Powerlines, just upstream from the "Head of the Slough" (MC).

troutdude
troutdude
The only stupid question; is the one that doesn't get asked.

Good luck out there.

E
eugene1
Gonzo said:
why do people troll in both directions

Driftboats are too slow to run back up. Why the other boats troll upstream I don't know.

You'll see the same thing for the fall run in the bays.

L
LuckyFisher
If I have a little 9 ft boat with a 55lb electric motor is that enough to be able to go upriver in the Multnomah Channel?

C
chad wiest
LuckyFisher said:
If I have a little 9 ft boat with a 55lb electric motor is that enough to be able to go upriver in the Multnomah Channel?

You can try it! With the extreme low water we have now the current is slower than normal. You might crawl along if the tide is ebbing hard. Be aware that it gets crowded and lots of boat wake can churn up the water. There is also some barge traffic there to look out for. Good luck, I will be there soon!

D
DirectDrive
LuckyFisher said:
An unequivocal yes.
I used to troll the slough (MC Channel), Head of the Slough, Powerlines and all the way down to the Columbia wit a 3HP MinnKota (about 55 lb thrust).
Always started with two, fully charged Group 27 Deep Cycles, though.

The Slough is cake for a small boat.
Not much current and houseboats here and there which means no big wakes to deal with.

L
LuckyFisher
Thank you so much!!