Doe's before bro's

G
guzer988
Is it true? Just got off the phone with a friend and long time fisherman, I ask him that all I've landed this year where doe'(hens) and he said next run will be Buck cause they wait for the females to lay there eggs then you'll start catching bucks, I dunno...... In my 3 years steelhead fishing I have never landed a Buck... Feel like I'm missing out on something

J
Jordy
They come up together. Hens tend to be more aggressive with roe.

G
guzer988
Can't use roe tho

G
guzer988
Just using spoons

G
guzer988
Or puff balls

J
Jordy
What river?

G
guzer988
A rogue river trib Illinois Rvr

N
Native Fisher
IDK it does feel, sometimes, that the hens come up first. I have had days where all I could catch was hens, then the next day the bucks seemed to have arrived and the hens had moved up river. I doubt they school separately though, sure it it is just the luck of the draw so to speak. Also hens don't lay eggs until they have a mate at hand....

hobster
hobster
Jordy said:
They come up together. Hens tend to be more aggressive with roe.

Yup. They are pretty much always paired up by the time they get to the upper river. I got almost all hens this winter also which was a first.

S
Steelheader4Life
guzer988 said:
Is it true? Just got off the phone with a friend and long time fisherman, I ask him that all I've landed this year where doe'(hens) and he said next run will be Buck cause they wait for the females to lay there eggs then you'll start catching bucks, I dunno...... In my 3 years steelhead fishing I have never landed a Buck... Feel like I'm missing out on something

Not true. It's just the luck of the draw. With hens you get some bait and not that good of a table quality fish and with a buck you get a better eating fish. I accept either as a success :)

G
guzer988
Steelheader4Life said:
Not true. It's just the luck of the draw. With hens you get some bait and not that good of a table quality fish and with a buck you get a better eating fish. I accept either as a success :)
Yeah I agree a success!

S
Stonefish
Bucks are right there to do their business with the hens when they lay their eggs.
They don't wait for the females to lay their eggs then come up the river.