Drift boat suggestions

F
fishin4agoodtime
Hey everyone, I'm looking for suggestions on getting a drift boat. This will be my first one and I was planning to spend no more than $1500 on it. Any ideas on the best time of year to look for one? Obviously I'd like to get one as soon as possible so I can practice rowing. Also, what should I expect in quality for my price range?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

O
OnTheDrop
In my honest opinion...Save up another 1,000$. You will start seeing some 'Decent' ones on CL between 2-3k.

C
Combat Chuck
$1500 will put you into the oddball category of boats. Lots of "homemade" fiberglass and wood boats that will be hard to get rid of if you want to upgrade. My first drift boat was a 12' aluminum that cost 1600 and sold I for 1500. I have never had such a tough time trying to sell something. An endless line of tire-kickers just because it was cheap... they didn't want it... but it was the cheapest aluminum drift boat on CL. It took 2 months and about 15 "buyers" to sell. I would also recommend a $2500 name brand boat. Its what I have now.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just sold my 15 year old Clackacraft for $3,700. It went with anchor system, oars, new seat, rod holders and good trailer. If you find a good deal at $1,500 jump on it. It may take a while. If you want one sooner than later as suggested add another thousand to the pot. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new boat what ever you end up with.

D
DrTheopolis
Chuck brings up a good point with resale value. A name brand DB that you paid $2500-3000 for will be worth about that if you ever want to sell it.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Like the others have mentioned you'll want to start your search off at least at $2500. Also try and hold out for a name brand 16x54 (willie/alumaweld/fishrite/koffler) as you'll easily be able to sell it when the time comes for an upgrade (sometimes for more than what you paid for it). You'll also need to stay on top of watching Craigslist as good deals never last more than a day or two. If it's still available after a week there's probably a reason for it.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
What everyone else has said, watch CL religiously and be ready with at least $2500.

D
DirectDrive
You just missed a Slide Rite on CL for $1000 (no trailer).
Gone on the first day.
They are out there.