Where to go near Portland?

N
newtofly
Hi everybody!

New to the forum. Little brief history before my question: I just picked up a fly rod for the first time this past summer as a recent transplant to the Bend area, and fell fast in love with it. I've been able to hit most of the cascade lakes and streams so far this summer and fall and am finally getting the technique down well enough to start producing a little more consistently.

My current question (bound to be many more as time goes on):

I'm making a trip over to the Portland area and have a free day friday. I'm looking to get out and do a little trout fishing. Baby steps before going after the steelhead. Plus i don't think my 9' 5weight would do to well with one of those guys on it. I'm looking to bank or possibly wade a little. If you could pick one or two places in the vicinity to go this time of year for trout. Where would you go? I don't mind driving a little bit to get there. I've seen the articles about different places to go and understand it's limited based on closures. I'm just looking for some local must try places while I'm in the area.

D
DrTheopolis
Welcome.

I think the problem you'll find is that most of the streams in the Portland area, unlike the Bend area, are closed to trout fishing at this time.

Someone will have a suggestion, though.

N
newtofly
That's kinda what I'm seeing reading the regs. I'm not completely against hitting a lake either. I just prefer streams as of now as i won't have a boat or tube. Any chance to get a cast out is a good day though.

D
DrTheopolis
What part of Portland will you be in?

N
newtofly
South of town. Tualatin actually.

N
newtofly
It's looking like lakes or ponds might be the easiest option. According to the stocking report. St. Louis just got a few recently. Any reviews? Just invested in a new Sage and am itching to get something on it.

F
FishOn420
newtofly said:
Hi everybody!

New to the forum. Little brief history before my question: I just picked up a fly rod for the first time this past summer as a recent transplant to the Bend area, and fell fast in love with it. I've been able to hit most of the cascade lakes and streams so far this summer and fall and am finally getting the technique down well enough to start producing a little more consistently.

My current question (bound to be many more as time goes on):

I'm making a trip over to the Portland area and have a free day friday. I'm looking to get out and do a little trout fishing. Baby steps before going after the steelhead. Plus i don't think my 9' 5weight would do to well with one of those guys on it. I'm looking to bank or possibly wade a little. If you could pick one or two places in the vicinity to go this time of year for trout. Where would you go? I don't mind driving a little bit to get there. I've seen the articles about different places to go and understand it's limited based on closures. I'm just looking for some local must try places while I'm in the area.

Check out Carver Park, its a little bit outside of Portland but not by much. Beautiful area too. There is also Sauvies Island.

S
sapo
FishOn420, if I understand correctly Carver park, and in fact the entire Clackamas, is closed to trout fishing until May 23. I would recommend any lake that has been stocked recently, however.

S
Seahawkfan
newtofly said:
It's looking like lakes or ponds might be the easiest option. According to the stocking report. St. Louis just got a few recently. Any reviews? Just invested in a new Sage and am itching to get something on it.

I wouldn't suggest Fly Fishing at St Louis ponds for trout. Little ponds, brush around and probably to many other people.

Try Faraday Lake in Estacada. It's a Reservoir (PGE) of the Clackamas River,...I believe it's pumped in off the Clack?....But any way.. Its like a small river that dumps into a lake controlled by a Dam. If I had to guess I'd say about 3/4 of a mile of moving water with pretty good room for casting a fly.

It Hasn't been stocked since last fall but I know for a fact that there are fish in there. Also there are recycled Steelhead in there from time to time.

Pretty limited around these parts for trout this time of year if your looking for moving water.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Seahawkfan said:
Try Faraday Lake in Estacada. It's a Reservoir (PGE) of the Clackamas River,...I believe it's pumped in off the Clack?....But any way.. Its like a small river that dumps into a lake controlled by a Dam. If I had to guess I'd say about 3/4 of a mile of moving water with pretty good room for casting a fly.

I', pretty sure the dam (Cazadero) backs up the river, which causes it to fill Faraday, which has a dam on top of the cliff that routes the water down through tubes down the Cliffside, into the powerhouse. I guess they thought that was a good idea 107 years ago.

Read the regs -- pretty sure you can only keep clipped trout.

N
newtofly
Thanks for all the replies guys! Gave me some great options :)

S
sapo
Seahawkfan said:
I wouldn't suggest Fly Fishing at St Louis ponds for trout. Little ponds, brush around and probably to many other people.

It Hasn't been stocked since last fall but I know for a fact that there are fish in there. Also there are recycled Steelhead in there from time to time.

Pretty limited around these parts for trout this time of year if your looking for moving water.
Seahawk fan, there is moving water at Faraday that's open right now for fishing? The one time I fished Faraday, I crossed a bridge with a river (I think) under it, then walked a bit farther and got to the lake. The lake looked pretty still, are you referring to the river you cross before you get to the lake to fish? The lake looked pretty big, is it easy to access the moving water?

S
Seahawkfan
sapo said:
Seahawk fan, there is moving water at Faraday that's open right now for fishing? The one time I fished Faraday, I crossed a bridge with a river (I think) under it, then walked a bit farther and got to the lake. The lake looked pretty still, are you referring to the river you cross before you get to the lake to fish? The lake looked pretty big, is it easy to access the moving water?

Sapo. take a look at the link and zoom in on the lake. The speed of the water depends on the weather and how much PGE is putting through the Dam. Faraday is open all year from the boiling head to the Dam. It's not a "Destination " spot but if a person wanted a chance of catching a fat hold over they are there to be had. I've even hooked a few steelhead while drifting Pautskies for trout.

Did you come down into the lake from cazadero or from the parking lot from below the lake?

D
DrTheopolis
That river you crossed over, Sapo, was the Clackamas. That section is Cazadero Canyon. And it's open to salmon and steelhead fishing all year (clippers, of course).

But Faraday, like Seahawkfan said, is pretty much dependent on how much water is in the river (it's my understanding the 3 dams on the mainstem Clack aren't really "adjustable" for flood control/flow regulation, but simply have the same output as they do input). Sometimes it moves, sometimes it's pretty still.

S
Seahawkfan
I crossed a bridge with a river (I think) under it, then walked a bit farther and got to the lake.

OK , I get it now. So you walked over the high bridge that goes over the Main Clack. Once you get over that bridge follow the gravel road and it will take you to the moving water.

S
sapo
Thx! That helped a lot. Yeah, at first I was confused, because it was just a big lake...but I guess a bit of walking gets to the good stretches. Thanks :). I'll probably hit it up soon, now that I know.

S
sapo
Seahawkfan said:
OK , I get it now. So you walked over the high bridge that goes over the Main Clack. Once you get over that bridge follow the gravel road and it will take you to the moving water.
One more question, sorry: How wide is the stretch of moving water? Small stream size, or more like a river? Thx, sorry for all the questions

L
Lincoln
I have recently been to both Faraday and St Louis Ponds twice each and Faraday has no fish that are biting, and they will not be stocked until June. St Louis Ponds has been recently stocked and I think it will be today too. Flyfishing would not be too hard there. I snagged about 20 times using diving Rapalas and I got them all back.

S
Seahawkfan
I'm guessing from 30 t0 60 feet.

S
Seahawkfan
Lincoln said:
I have recently been to both Faraday and St Louis Ponds twice each and Faraday has no fish that are biting, and they will not be stocked until June. St Louis Ponds has been recently stocked and I think it will be today too. Flyfishing would not be too hard there. I snagged about 20 times using diving Rapalas and I got them all back.

What were you using for bait?