Olalla Reservoir report

PK Yi
PK Yi
headed over to olalla reservoir couple weeks ago. we were trolling, and I did ok using a z-ray. weather was nice and we had a lot of fun. lots of fish on my sonar about 10-30 feet. water level was high

W
wollybugger
Awesome video - looks like a great trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
playhooky
What a bluebird day and the bite was on.....nice job! It's always a kick when you're already playing a fish and that second rod goes off. I've been inspired again by the video. All I've done is talk about this water for the past few years....guess it's time for me to put a tube on there and pop a few bows. Looks like you guys were having too much fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations, Sammy. You certainly did better than I ever did at Olalla Lake. I have only been there twice. Two years ago I trolled five hours in January for a single trout. Admittedly it was very cold and I did mark a lot of fish. Last year I went later in the year on a very nice day and trolled various spinners on two rods. All I got was yellow perch up to about 8" max (lots of 'em). I also got several largemouth bass up to about 4" long. I came up empty fishing senkos and plugs around the stump areas. I guess I just need to go back with a z-ray next time:). You guys never got any bass or perch??

Here is a picture of the Olalla Lake rainbow I got in 2013. I don't know what he was eating but he was gurgling out of one end and hissing out of the other. I was glad to get him back in the water as fast as possible.

f0MSdHi.jpg

bass
bass
Great video. You make the best fishing videos on the internet. They are so much fun to watch. I just love sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to get a bite :)

So it looks like a new boat and a new net! I just upgraded my net with a dowel extension handle this winter, but I keep looking at other options. I definitely want snagless (like my present net, like your old net) and it seems hard to find one that has decent sized hoop that does not have a mile long handle. What brand and model net are you using in the video?

bass
bass
C_Run said:
Congratulations, Sammy. You certainly did better than I ever did at Olalla Lake. I have only been there twice. Two years ago I trolled five hours in January for a single trout. Admittedly it was very cold and I did mark a lot of fish. Last year I went later in the year on a very nice day and trolled various spinners on two rods. All I got was yellow perch up to about 8" max (lots of 'em). I also got several largemouth bass up to about 4" long. I came up empty fishing senkos and plugs around the stump areas. I guess I just need to go back with a z-ray next time:). You guys never got any bass or perch??

Here is a picture of the Olalla Lake rainbow I got in 2013. I don't know what he was eating but he was gurgling out of one end and hissing out of the other. I was glad to get him back in the water as fast as possible.

f0MSdHi.jpg

Dang, that looks like two trout glued together!

PK Yi
PK Yi
C_Run said:

thanks.

that's a nice looking trout. looks like he swallowed a snake or another trout.

PK Yi
PK Yi
bass said:
Great video. You make the best fishing videos on the internet. They are so much fun to watch. I just love sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to get a bite :)

So it looks like a new boat and a new net! I just upgraded my net with a dowel extension handle this winter, but I keep looking at other options. I definitely want snagless (like my present net, like your old net) and it seems hard to find one that has decent sized hoop that does not have a mile long handle. What brand and model net are you using in the video?

thank you. I appreciate it. yup, a new boat I got off craiglist for $225. I still have my inflatable raft, which I will be using to get to places my boat can't.

below is a link to my net I got off amazon. net is good, just wish the handle is a little longer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSSUR9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PK Yi
PK Yi
playhooky said:
What a bluebird day and the bite was on.....nice job! It's always a kick when you're already playing a fish and that second rod goes off. I've been inspired again by the video. All I've done is talk about this water for the past few years....guess it's time for me to put a tube on there and pop a few bows. Looks like you guys were having too much fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks. a 2-rod license doubles the fun :D

D
DrTheopolis
Is that a driftboat?

$225 seems awfully cheap. Should leave you enough left over to get some rod holders.

Cool vid.

PK Yi
PK Yi
DrTheopolis said:
Is that a driftboat?

$225 seems awfully cheap. Should leave you enough left over to get some rod holders.

Cool vid.

no, it's just a regular 14' aluminum boat. came with a really nice trailer too.

troutdude
troutdude
2 and a quarter for a 14' boat, AND a trailer??? CRIKEY...deal of the century!!!

Great video buddy!!! Glad you had some fun!

BTW, are those z-ray's a Luhr Jensen product?

Answered my own question. Made by Whitman. Coolio.

PK Yi
PK Yi
troutdude said:
2 and a quarter for a 14' boat, AND a trailer??? CRIKEY...deal of the century!!!

Great video buddy!!! Glad you had some fun!

BTW, are those z-ray's a Luhr Jensen product?

Answered my own question. Made by Whitman. Coolio.

I got lucky with the boat for sure.

I think z-rays were made by wittmann lure company? not sure if they are still in business or not. I got them off ebay.

bass
bass
sammy said:
thank you. I appreciate it. yup, a new boat I got off craiglist for $225. I still have my inflatable raft, which I will be using to get to places my boat can't.

below is a link to my net I got off amazon. net is good, just wish the handle is a little longer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSSUR9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. I saw one review said they broke the net on a 5lb fish. What is your take on the strength and quality of the net? The price sure seems good! Also, for handle length, it is OK for me if the handle is a bit short. I was looking for something that was not too long for the kayak. I am low to the water so I do not need too long of a handle.

Thanks again and keep posting those awesome videos.

troutdude
troutdude
sammy said:
I got lucky with the boat for sure.

I think z-rays were made by wittmann lure company? not sure if they are still in business or not. I got them off ebay.

Yeah; what a sweet deal! Thanks for the lure info. I've seen 'em before. I may have some; but I have many boxes of tackle...so I'll do some rooting around, and see if I can find 'em. If not' I'll get some on eBay too.

PK Yi
PK Yi
bass said:
Thanks for the link. I saw one review said they broke the net on a 5lb fish. What is your take on the strength and quality of the net? The price sure seems good! Also, for handle length, it is OK for me if the handle is a bit short. I was looking for something that was not too long for the kayak. I am low to the water so I do not need too long of a handle.

Thanks again and keep posting those awesome videos.

so far, I like the net. it's very light, but definitely not sturdy but that's fine because I never used it on any fish bigger than stocked trout; I did put a 5lb dumb bell in the net to test it out, it seems it could handle it. however, a 5lb fish is going to fight in the net and put stress on the handle joint. I think that's where it would break since there are 2 tiny screws that keep the ring in place. quality of the net? think eagle claw and surely not a frabill.

if you get one, I would check those screws every outing to make sure they don't jar loose.

I got it for the rubber net really, it doesn't let the hook dig into it - hated untangling my hook after using the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
bass
bass
sammy said:
so far, I like the net. it's very light, but definitely not sturdy but that's fine because I never used it on any fish bigger than stocked trout; I did put a 5lb dumb bell in the net to test it out, it seems it could handle it. however, a 5lb fish is going to fight in the net and put stress on the handle joint. I think that's where it would break since there are 2 tiny screws that keep the ring in place. quality of the net? think eagle claw and surely not a frabill.

if you get one, I would check those screws every outing to make sure they don't jar loose.

I got it for the rubber net really, it doesn't let the hook dig into it - hated untangling my hook after using the net.

Thanks Sammy. I figure at Hagg there is always an outside chance at a big fish. I will probably keep looking and use the dowel rod + wading net for now :)

troutdude
troutdude
Sammy, just found z-ray's advertised in a 1986 copy of Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. Joseph Wittman, created the z-ray. He passed on, in 1990, and his business was sold. Two of his daughters, lived in Portland (at least back then). Joe first started making the lures, in 1963. The couple who bought the company, apparently closed down in 2011.

PK Yi
PK Yi
troutdude said:
Sammy, just found z-ray's advertised in a 1986 copy of Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. Joseph Wittman, created the z-ray. He passed on, in 1990, and his business was sold. Two of his daughters, lived in Portland (at least back then). Joe first started making the lures, in 1963. The couple who bought the company, apparently closed down in 2011.

good find. that's good information. it's too bad no other company bought the patent and produce it again. it would sell a lot. they just work.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. But they were made very recently, so I'm just gonna keep an eagle eye on fleabay; and snap some up.