Hagg opener on 3/7 who's going?

troutdude
troutdude
I'll be there. If you spot my OFF decal, or my Beaver's baseball cap...feel free to say hello--and swap some stories.

Tight lines to all!!!

F
FishOn420
troutdude said:
I'll be there. If you spot my OFF decal, or my Beaver's baseball cap...feel free to say hello--and swap some stories.

Tight lines to all!!!

Everyone and their dog will be there :D

B
Berg03
ill be in my toon on the North west side of the lake

troutdude
troutdude
FishOn420 said:
Everyone and their dog will be there :D

Yeah; I hear ya. This springlike weather, has all of us at a "fever pitch" to get crackin'! My second trip, about 5 or 6 years ago, the high temp was 60 degrees. It was a proverbial "mad house"!!!

Hopefully, it will be more like last year...low 40's to start the day, and snow was falling with lower temps by mid day. The year before that, it was 28 and the ground frozen soled, at o' dark thirty.

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe we can devise a secret OFF code; so we can spot each other? How about standing up, and dancing a jig--unless you're in a tube, toon, or raft? :D

But seriously...maybe wave an arm, or a hat, above our noodles three times...or something similar?

M
montym
Yeah, say every 5 min or so? ?. We would at least scare most of the other folks away....

B
Berg03
I'll be in a red toon with all the fish hanging off the side. :)

troutdude
troutdude
Berg03 said:
I'll be in a red toon with all the fish hanging off the side. :)

Ha ha! Positive thinking. I like it!

S
Seahawkfan
I'm probably going to pass opening weekend. That place will be a zoo with the predicted weather to be 65 degrees. That coupled with all the sheriffs doing boat inspections will be to much to deal with for me. Also wouldn't doubt if the water sport boats are out there getting their boats out for the first time of the year.

Good luck to all of you who brave the craziness.

B
Berg03
Seahawkfan said:
I'm probably going to pass opening weekend. That place will be a zoo with the predicted weather to be 65 degrees. That coupled with all the sheriffs doing boat inspections will be to much to deal with for me. Also wouldn't doubt if the water sport boats are out there getting their boats out for the first time of the year.

Good luck to all of you who brave the craziness.

Well thats why the lake is open during the winter! All the water sport boats could already be going crazy out there. Just no fishing until the 7th

S
Seahawkfan
I think you missed my point.

H
hvacr1
I would have to agree it will be a zoo if your a bank fisherman and only fishing the known popular spots. I have been fishing there every opening day for the last five years in my boat and it never really feels crowded until your tired and ready to take the boat out at ramp c and every person ahead of you just got there boaters card yesterday and never backed up a trailer. just sayin

S
Seahawkfan
hvacr1 said:
I would have to agree it will be a zoo if your a bank fisherman and only fishing the known popular spots. I have been fishing there every opening day for the last five years in my boat and it never really feels crowded until your tired and ready to take the boat out at ramp c and every person ahead of you just got there boaters card yesterday and never backed up a trailer. just sayin

That's what I was getting at and I agree. Getting in early will be easy, getting out might be tough. I've waited over an hour to get my boat out, but hey that's city fishin for ya, just part of the sport if you will.

Good luck to all of you who go out opening weekend. Please post some pics of your fish.

bass
bass
I will be helping out at my son's school's pancake breakfast on Saturday so you all need to catch a lot of nice fish to really rub it in :)

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha. Some payback, for the dinosaur pics n' vids eh? LOL

I'm ITCHIN' to go; and just got the rig loaded up. I'll file a new report/thread, after I return. Hope to see, some of you out there. Good luck to all!

M
montym
20150307_100457.jpg

How's that for the first ever fish in my net? Yup, from Hagg today. Unfortunately I didn't hook it, some folks fishing almost right next to me on the left did. In the next 30 min or so, there was one slightly smaller caught by some folks sitting almost next to me on the right hand side. Me? I came home with 2 dinks and one relatively better.

Turned up at boat ramp A at about 6:15, and the parking was almost full. Went down to the water line, really crowded even at that hour. Found a place, got my lines in the water and 2 dinks came very quickly on power eggs. Let two others go as they looked too small, I was sure of the limit and I wanted bigger ones. Talk about being overconfident, I came home with 3 after 4 more hours. Then no bite for a long time. Threw some spoons and spinners, no luck. Some folks were getting some nice fat ones, but for most it went quiet.

My friends spied around, and we decided to shift. Again, slow. Suddenly heard my friends talking to a gentleman who was telling them how awesome OFF is. To my infinite pleasure it turned out to be Jay aka Troutdude. Chewed the cud for a while, TD sprinkled a dollop of his magic oil on our eggs but still no luck. In the mean time folks were catching hogs to our left and right, it was a bit frustrating. I mean, come on, I even had my drag loose for a change and carried a nice shiny new net! Finally, one about 10 incher came and we called it a day.

Lovely warm day, and as we all knew it was really crowded. Still, fun for all and what not. Jay and I below, the good breweries of Oregon are really ruining my profile...
20150307_085046.jpg

Cheers
M

troutdude
troutdude
It was great to meet you Monty, and your buddies. I enjoyed chatting with all of you! Too bad that my magic potion, didn't give you a "net result" of a big fattie. Oh well, that's why it's not called "catching". Ha ha. Hope to see you again.

P.S. The dude over your shoulder, is Harvey. He lives there, and fishes the lake at least 3 times a week. So, if you you see him again...hit him up for some tips!

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, I picked up another 6' ultralight Fenwick feralite rod, with a Mitchell rear drag reel. An antique store find, in Amity, on the way home. Plus, I had a Lake Stop Store polish dog with relish; for breakfast!!! Full report will be posted tomorrow.

M
montym
Thanks Jay. Convinced my wife that the best thing we can do tomorrow will be to head to Hagg early in the morning. If you folks see an Indian family with a bored little girl around ramp c in the morning say hi.....

troutdude
troutdude
U betcha. Sorry that you guys, didn't net more fish. They probably went deeper, when the sun hit the water. I've seen that happen, many times at Hagg. Adding more weight (to fling out farther), and longer leaders, should help. Good luck today!