Middle Fork Willamette steelhead

J
JohnnyH
Hi all,

I had a co-worker tell me that his sons pulled out 2 steelhead this weekend on the lower portion of the river. It was my understanding that there isn't a winter run through there so my question is: Would those have been hold over summers? How do you think the quality of the fish would be? Is it common to be able to catch these ones or did they just get lucky? Any help or info appreciated.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
There is a Fall Creek run that has been going on for some time. There are hold over also there and new fish should be making their way soon. Last time I looked at the river, it was in summer time levels.

S
Steelheader4Life
I can tell that you if they were summer hold overs they will taste like dirt. I do know that the Willamette gets a winter run but I don't think any of them will be fin clipped. I see hundreds of steelhead every year in some of the tributaries of the Yamhill which is a trib of the Willamette although none of them are open to fishing it's still fun to see them try to jump some falls.

J
JohnnyH
Fish-On Fred said:
There is a Fall Creek run that has been going on for some time. There are hold over also there and new fish should be making their way soon. Last time I looked at the river, it was in summer time levels.

I wasn't aware of the fall creek run, I guess I should go for a drive up fall creek to see if I can find some spawning grounds, those are always fun to hike in and check out.

Steelheader4Life said:
I can tell that you if they were summer hold overs they will taste like dirt. I do know that the Willamette gets a winter run but I don't think any of them will be fin clipped. I see hundreds of steelhead every year in some of the tributaries of the Yamhill which is a trib of the Willamette although none of them are open to fishing it's still fun to see them try to jump some falls.

In that particular area the regs state that any steelhead over 24" can be kept whether clipped or not. There is another thread going on here talking about the salmon and steelhead above the calapooia.

I could only assume that a hold over wouldn't be that great of table fare, but who knows.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Summer holdovers that look nice and bright but cut white. My neighbor brought one home too. Let those things go for sure.

There are a few winters in there but not many.

R
rippin fish lips
Let those wild fish you catch in the willy in the winter go please!! Never know how that stream could turn out in years down the road.... There is mroe of them each year.