Thanksgiving stuffing in a crock pot?

W
wozniasm
Are you aware that you can make Thanksgiving Stuffing in a crock pot? Now it doesn't have to wait for the turkey and greenbean casserole to get done...

Here's two recipes or you can use your own:

Herbed Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large onions, chopped
3 medium celery ribs chopped
1 medium granny smith apple, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoon crumbled sage
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound stale Italian or French bread, 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cup turkey or chicken stock, preferably homemade
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and apple. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage, salt, and pepper.

In a large bowl, mix the bread cubes with the onion mixture. Tossing the bread cubes, add the turkey broth to moisten. Pack the stuffing lightly into a buttered 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.

Cover and slow-cook on high (300 degrees F) for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to low (200 degrees F) and slow-cook until heated through, 3 to 4 hours. (The slow cooker will keep the dressing at serving temperature for up to 3 hours.)

Mushroom-Herb Bread Stuffing
Serves/Makes: 8

1/2 cup butter
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 large eggs
1 pound loaf whole wheat, sourdough, french, etc bread, torn in pieces, left out overnight to dry

Have ready a 5-qt or larger slow-cooker.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; saute 8 to 10 minutes until translucent. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, sage, poultry seasoning, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Transfer to cooker.
Whisk broth and eggs in a bowl to combine. Stir, with the bread, into cooker mixture until blended. Cook on high 45 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 6 hours.

The only issue I see is getting the browning on the top but you can pull the pot out (if it's removable) and set it under the broiler.

Reactions: bigsteel
L
lilsalmon
thats an excellent idea and I love my crockpot....but my stuffing goes in the Turkey.........and i always stuff it nice and full...:D

W
wozniasm
lilsalmon said:
i always stuff it nice and full...:D

Don't you find that the turkey gets over cooked when its stuffed?

L
lilsalmon
noooo. I have a huge electric roaster that holds up to a 24 lb turkey....it is always perfect.

W
wozniasm
I never tried it since the wife likes to make her stuffing and she won't won't stuff the bird - southern gal...

L
lilsalmon
those Southern gals...gotta luv em...hehe....they cook really really good, I hear.

W
wozniasm
Not as good as me!

J
JeannaJigs
People actually cook stuffing from...scratch? Whoa there Betty crocker! I use stove top...ha ha...the last time I "cooked" thanksgiving dinner, my mom told everyone to come over to my apartment...I lived in a one room apartment, 800 sq feet with 14 people crammed into a tiny dining room. The worst part is i don't know how to cook. I lived right next door to Albertsons. Albertsons deli to the rescue! I busted out pans (that were never used) and made it LOOK like I possibly could've made all of it. No one said anything but I'm sure they all knew.