Whats ur input?

N
nwkiller
So a question arose between my fishing buddies and I mainly during the begining of the salmon season. While casting lures from the rocks I began to notice that everytime I retreived my lure, the flasher would spin clockwise( coming at you ), obviously other lures have different spinning patterns....we were recently throwing lures and saw the same out come for a lot of spinners. S the question is......If your flasher spins a certain way on this side of the earth.....would it spin the other way on the otherside of the planet....(austrailian toilet thing).......I guess also, what makes a flasher spin that direction if its a strait setup...???? its been a long day.......lol

L
lilsalmon
I'm not sure on that answer but you got my head spinning to the right........hehe....yes, it has been a long and boring day

B
beaverfan
I've noticed the same thing with spinners. Not sure why. As far as them spinning the opposite way south of the equator. The whole water draining the opposite down there is a myth..........

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

N
nwkiller
beaverfan said:
I've noticed the same thing with spinners. Not sure why. As far as them spinning the opposite way south of the equator. The whole water draining the opposite down there is a myth..........

hahaha never knew...damn simpsons

E
eugene1
nwkiller said:
S the question is......If your flasher spins a certain way on this side of the earth.....would it spin the other way on the otherside of the planet....(austrailian toilet thing).......

It should roll the same way everywhere since the blade is bent in a certain direction? that's my guess anyway... Can I sign up for a down under trip with your crew to test it out??

N
nwkiller
eugene1 said:
It should roll the same way everywhere since the blade is bent in a certain direction? that's my guess anyway... Can I sign up for a down under trip with your crew to test it out??

the blades i run look pretty cemtrical all the way around.......not sure but good opinion

funny you ask about the trip....the conversation got pretty deep, we were talkin about who would throw the sponser for that trip! i say we all go try it......the more input the better right! lol

E
eugene1
nwkiller said:
the blades i run look pretty cemtrical all the way around.......not sure but good opinion

funny you ask about the trip....the conversation got pretty deep, we were talkin about who would throw the sponser for that trip! i say we all go try it......the more input the better right! lol

that's funny dude, about the trip. I can maybe sponsor myself for it, if you get something worked out for off members. NZ has some nice runs I hear. maybe check into the chile salmon too, big fish taking over down there... Invasive and someone needs to take them out or at least limit their numbers a bit!

H
hookbait
I think the spin direction is actually more a function of the current. For instance, when you retrive from the bank the spinner at some point will be moving at a slight angle to the current. This would make it easier for the spinner to move in one direction or the other. If the spinner was traveling directly into the current it could spin either direction, but would probably keep spinning in the direction it's already going in. So, if this is correct and you notice the spinner going one direction from one bank, moving to the other bank should see the spinner going the other direction.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:think: I usually have sense enough to not argue with science. However, I was in Israel in 1997 and had the opportunity to witness the "swirl" firsthand. I was fascinated as I watched the drain swirl counter-clockwise. :shock: I was like a three year old...flushing...flushing...flushing.:redface: :lol: Toilets and sinks alike were draining backwards. :cool:

W
wozniasm
beaverfan said:

Not so. I was in Perth Australia in the Navy and witnessed it myself. It does flow CCW!

B
beaverfan
wozniasm said:
Not so. I was in Perth Australia in the Navy and witnessed it myself. It does flow CCW!

Sorry but the coriolis effect has ZERO impact on which way water drains in a toilet. The one and only thing that determines it is the design of the the toilet/sink.

troutdude
troutdude
nwkiller said:
S the question is......If your flasher spins a certain way on this side of the earth.....would it spin the other way on the otherside of the planet....(austrailian toilet thing).......I guess also, what makes a flasher spin that direction if its a strait setup...???? its been a long day.......lol

Simple. There are no left handed fish in Oregon, or in the land Down Under. So, a proper spin perpendicular to a counter clockwise motion, is the goal.

C
chris61182
beaverfan said:
Sorry but the coriolis effect has ZERO impact on which way water drains in a toilet. The one and only thing that determines it is the design of the the toilet/sink.

Yup, which is why Raincatcher saw this happen in Israel, which happens to be in the northern hemisphere.

N
nwkiller
all i know is, someone needs to figure this out..........