Nestucca and Wilson River questions

S
Snappleninja
So I am new to the forum and to salmon and steelhead fishing in general so obviously I have a few questions. So I am thinking about making a trip out to the coast and fishing, and I am curious about how much public bank access there is on each river for somebody with only a car. There is a second part to my question is which river is more friendly to a bank fisherman without waders? Thanks in advance for any help.

T
troutmasta
The Wilson is a bankies dream, There are literally hundreds of spots where no waders are needed.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
THe wilson is definitely a bank fishermen's river. Though the nestucca does have it's opportunities. Low down on the nestucca hansen boat ramp at the mouth of three rivers,then the pay box at jacksons drift across the river. you also have cloverdale,101,and farmers creek in the area. but other than that, there's are few bank spots on the lower half of the river where you will encounter salmon and steelhead.

If wild fish and catch and release is your thing,the upper portion of the river is followed by upper nestucca river road. there are plenty of pullouts you can fish on a day trip. Explore a bit! both rivers offer fantastic fishing,but the wilson has the most bank access by far.

S
Snappleninja
Now that I think about it my uncle lives out just was of Beaver and his house I believe backs up to the Nestucca. Upon further review you could indeed throw a rock into the Nestucca from his back porch. Now how steep the bank is going down to the river I'm not sure, but hey I'm young I'll figure it out lol.

C
ChezJfrey
Snappleninja said:
Upon further review you could indeed throw a rock into the Nestucca from his back porch. Now how steep the bank is going down to the river I'm not sure, but hey I'm young I'll figure it out lol.

That's the spirit! I predict good things for you and future steelhead :)

P
pinstriper
Since I've recently started paying attention to those things, it has nevertheless occurred to me that getting from the road down to the river can involve some pretty steep/slippery paths. How it this usually managed, and would running a piece of paracord from the top on your way in, to help make your way out be viewed askance ?

T
TimberTodd
I use a rope with knots about every 2 feet for a couple of spots I fish on the Wilson.

P
pinstriper
TimberTodd said:
I use a rope with knots about every 2 feet for a couple of spots I fish on the Wilson.

Thanks, T. I will do something along those lines. And if I am mocked or excoriated for the practice, I will bear in mind that I suffer not alone.

I've been looking for something useful to do with that rope I got for free last year at Harbor Freight, and this is just the thing !

C
ChezJfrey
pinstriper said:
Thanks, T. I will do something along those lines. And if I am mocked or excoriated for the practice, I will bear in mind that I suffer not alone.

I've been looking for something useful to do with that rope I got for free last year at Harbor Freight, and this is just the thing !

Pfft, don't worry about anyone else. I have a machete and 50' knotted rope on the floor of my fishing rig.

Story time :)

There is a commercial residence piece of property where using some digital skills, I had found proof of both fish hookups at the adjacent part of that river and a handy path from their property, down to the river. I drove to their parking lot, found a guest spot and found the gate and path. Having verified access, I then called the property manager and asked if I parked in a guest spot, could I use the path to fish. I was denied.

Fine. The property is bordered by public land, but tangled brush right up to the fences. I moved parking to a public street, walked around to the perimeter fence, took the machete, hacked for an hour, rappelled down 40 feet of steep slope and within 30 minutes, hooked a steelhead. Ha!

P
pinstriper
ChezJfrey said:
Pfft, don't worry about anyone else. I have a machete and 50' knotted rope on the floor of my fishing rig.

Story time :)

There is a commercial residence piece of property where using some digital skills, I had found proof of both fish hookups at the adjacent part of that river and a handy path from their property, down to the river. I drove to their parking lot, found a guest spot and found the gate and path. Having verified access, I then called the property manager and asked if I parked in a guest spot, could I use the path to fish. I was denied.

Fine. The property is bordered by public land, but tangled brush right up to the fences. I moved parking to a public street, walked around to the perimeter fence, took the machete, hacked for an hour, rappelled down 40 feet of steep slope and within 30 minutes, hooked a steelhead. Ha!

I have a lot more quit in me, personally. But I admire the...obstinacy.

J
jkyser01
Thanks TimberTodd, think the wife and I used your rope on Saturday:)

S
Snappleninja
pinstriper said:

I was thinking maybe a rope with a series of loops tied into it. That would not only give me a hand holds but i could also use them for my feet possibly. I also considered making handles out of those loops with dowels that have a hole drilled through them. That could become a little bulky to pack around though.

P
pinstriper
Snappleninja said:
I was thinking maybe a rope with a series of loops tied into it. That would not only give me a hand holds but i could also use them for my feet possibly. I also considered making handles out of those loops with dowels that have a hole drilled through them. That could become a little bulky to pack around though.

Whoah, there. Footholds ? I was thinking just something to steady myself and keep me from falling on my hind end. If a slope needs a rope ladder to get up, I'm letting someone else fish there.

S
SmallStreams
Hey, it's just one way of showing you the ropes!

Going down the steep slopes is usually harder than coming up, mainly because the consequences of mistakes are far more obvious. I've climbed out of a few canyons in places I wouldn't dare go down. The funniest one was kind of short distance, but it kept getting more vertical as I went up (in what I thought of as a rather remote location) and then, much to my surprise, there was a rope dangling in my face! Obviously I wasn't the first fool to get hooked...

I, too, have carried a machete. One gets rather odd looks, so I've taken to leaving it at home and using a pair of hand pruners instead. They've proven to be a little more surgical and don't leave obvious debris behind when trying to obfuscate the trail.

P
pinstriper
SmallStreams said:

Going down the steep slopes is usually harder than coming up, mainly because the consequences of mistakes are far more obvious. I've climbed out of a few canyons in places I wouldn't dare go down. The funniest one was kind of short distance, but it kept getting more vertical as I went up (in what I thought of as a rather remote location) and then, much to my surprise, there was a rope dangling in my face! Obviously I wasn't the first fool to get hooked...

I, too, have carried a machete. One gets rather odd looks, so I've taken to leaving it at home and using a pair of hand pruners instead. They've proven to be a little more surgical and don't leave obvious debris behind when trying to obfuscate the trail.

I'm going to adopt this, using a length of paracord with knots every 3 feet or so and a carabineer at one end to make easy attach/disconnect, for use only to have something to hang on to and not wind up taking a spill. I will also bring along a hand pruner to deal with the occasional blackberry sticking across the path. I suppose a machete in the truck wouldn't be a terrible idea but I won't be sporting it on my belt.

C
ChezJfrey
pinstriper said:
I suppose a machete in the truck wouldn't be a terrible idea but I won't be sporting it on my belt.

I've done it, alongside my belt knife, but I suppose it's somewhat unwise and only a matter of time before I get accosted, guns drawn, for carrying what many cultures would consider an essential wilderness survival tool. <sigh>

Casting Call
Casting Call
pinstriper said:
I'm going to adopt this, using a length of paracord with knots every 3 feet or so and a carabineer at one end to make easy attach/disconnect, for use only to have something to hang on to and not wind up taking a spill. I will also bring along a hand pruner to deal with the occasional blackberry sticking across the path. I suppose a machete in the truck wouldn't be a terrible idea but I won't be sporting it on my belt.
pin... I am a rope rescue tech with the state of oregon DPSST tech #9382. Paracord is sometime called 550 cord meaning the load is rated at 550lbs. One good slip and a snap of the line will exceed 550#. Do not use it for rappeling or you will die. Acending in a emergency it can work. Use a good high rated rope with three pressik cord loops that slide up or down(u-tube it)one for each hand and a large one around your chest to hold you if you slip. I'll be glade to give lessons ifd ur ever on the coast. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
SmallStreams said:

Try short handel loppers with a branch cutter snips and carry on backpack or back belt. Tony

P
pinstriper
Casting Call said:
pin... I am a rope rescue tech with the state of oregon DPSST tech #9382. Paracord is sometime called 550 cord meaning the load is rated at 550lbs. One good slip and a snap of the line will exceed 550#. Do not use it for rappeling or you will die. Acending in a emergency it can work. Use a good high rated rope with three pressik cord loops that slide up or down(u-tube it)one for each hand and a large one around your chest to hold you if you slip. I'll be glade to give lessons ifd ur ever on the coast. Tony

Yeah, my rule is if it involves rappelling, it's too steep. I really was only thinking for something that might be walkable in the dry but slippery and a little on the steep side - kind of like a stair railing or to help with balance against a slip.

I wasn't thinking para-cord was a bat-rope. I'm too old and fat for an actual climb.

Bake
Bake
You may want to do some light reading on rappelling. Anytime I am faced with a grade I will pull my 9.9mm x 150 foot rope out of my pack. I'm over 70 now and if I slip, it takes too dam long to heel-up. :)

I wouldn't take 550 cord to a "Dog Fright"