Landed me another today!

L
LoganGressett
So I've been fishing the creek behind my house lately here and there in hopes of catching a steely out of it. I've fished it since I was like 12 for trout and it's always been pretty good. I remember years ago seeing a large fish 'salmon or steelhead' hauling ass through the shallow rapids so I know there are some in there. But I don't think it gets very many. earlier this year while trout fishing I noticed 6 or 7 dead silvers scattered throughout my adventures. So with my recent interest in winter steelhead I said to myself I wanted to at least catch one out of it. So over the past few weeks I've gone back there and tried but had nothing but snags and little trout biting my worm. Until today :) my bobber went down and I had hooked into a nice little wild steely! I was by myself once again so pictures didn't turn out great. But I was and still am so stoked to have caught one out of this creek! I feel pretty fortunate!! Considering I literally just started winter steelhead fishing a couple weeks ago when I landed my first 2 ever. Now I wonder if I'll be able to catch a few more out of this creek!! Enjoy ;) fish was released unharmed.

IMG_20150213_163452.jpg

20150213_154943.jpg

S
sapo
Nice fish! I'm sure you have, but have you checked the regs to see if the creek you fish is legal to fish? But, nice fish! Big

J
JonT
:blushing:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sapo said:
Nice fish! I'm sure you have, but have you checked the regs to see if the creek you fish is legal to fish? But, nice fish! Big

sapo makes a good point, it is never a bad idea to double check, especially if you have seen spawned out coho in the water, remembering that salmon/steelhead are closed in all waters in all zones except as listed under Special Regulations. if your creek isn't listed as open for steelhead under special regulations then it is never open for steelhead and would only be open for trout during the normal trout season (May 23-Oct.31 this year)...cheers, roger

Last edited:
S
Seahawkfan
. earlier this year while trout fishing

Trout Fishing in a creek? Sounds Fishy.

O
oregon30
ive tried pink worms and...... no luck

B
Big3d
Very well done logan! Looks purty!

H
halibuthitman
Its really simple to determine if your creek is open. Look at the list of rivers and harvest numbers they gave you when you bought your tags... not there? CLOSED. the only exeption would be the handful of creeks that in the regs the river specifically lists " and tributaries of " sometimes they have a secret one hid in this fashion, but, as a rule every single salmon/steelhead stream or river in Oregon has a number and is on that list even if its catch and release only-

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
halibuthitman said:
Its really simple to determine if your creek is open. Look at the list of rivers and harvest numbers they gave you when you bought your tags... not there? CLOSED. the only exeption would be the handful of creeks that in the regs the river specifically lists " and tributaries of " sometimes they have a secret one hid in this fashion, but, as a rule every single salmon/steelhead stream or river in Oregon has a number and is on that list even if its catch and release only-

good point, and please remember any advice on rules/regs is provided to help people avoid an expensive ticket,

adding to the above, it is worth noting that you must have a combined angling tag to fish for steelhead, notice it does not say it is required to only if you plan to retain them but just to fish for them:

Combined Angling Tag (Adult: 18 and older)
(Annual Tag to fish for salmon, steelhead,
sturgeon and Pacific halibut.)

L
LoganGressett
Yes I am aware of the rules and regs. Jesus didn't think I was gonna get blasted for simply sharing a few photos of a fish I caught and released!

Reactions: rogerdodger
H
halibuthitman
Well logan if you live in claskenine, that has to be beaver creek, or the claskenine.. If not its closed, fishing closed waters for steelhead is a $500 fine loss of all gear and 3 year suspension of your license.. Forgive us for trying to help a guy avoid that that may have not known. I know your area like the back of my hand.. Fish the claskenine or beaver creek about twice a week... And see guys illegally fishing closed creeks daily, i have a steelhead creek that runs next to my property with about 3000 steelhead in it, i could easily fish it without getting caught, but i drive 60 miles minimum to fish legally, so i have zero tolorance for illegal creek fishing.

my2labs
my2labs
LoganGressett said:
Jesus didn't think I was gonna get blasted for simply sharing a few photos of a fish I caught and released!

Lol.... Bro.... This is a forum for people who fight tooth and nail for these fish. To catch them and to protect them for posterity. I'm new to the forum and I've learned that these people are not just fisherman. They are hatchery workers, guides and parents. We all love the river and oddly, even though we harvest a few every now and then, we absolutely love the fish. Just a friendly FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller