What did you learn this fishing season?

O
OnTheFly
Every fishing season you learn something new. Here's a few things of mine:

Fishing at Harriet Lake in late January is really not a good idea. Yes we caught fish and had a good time but unless you are impervious to the cold and a diehard, like Thuggin, you will turn into a giant goose pimple.

What is said around the campfire stays around the campfire.

Do not **** off rattlesnakes with the end of your fly rod.

After a couple dozen times, salmon flies crawling down my neck don’t bother me anymore.

Peacock Stimulators.

Thing-a-ma-bobbers.

Never tie on tippet with a blood knot. They suck. Use Surgeon’s knot instead.

After witnessing Drew’s roll cast I am now striving to improve mine.

Unless your name is Sinkline, fly fish Diamond Lake early otherwise use Powerbait.

Hanging around people who do a lot of fishing on rivers and streams starts to rub off on you. My catch rate has increased dramatically.

Thanks to Ninja and Irishrover, I learned how to spey cast. Jimmy spent nearly an entire fishing day giving me instructions. He has let me borrow his 13.5ft rod and reel to get me interested…..and it’s working!

They say that having too much fun may not be a good thing but now I know that’s not true. I could have stayed at Trillium all summer.

Did anyone else learn a thing or two this season?

Reactions: brandon4455
B
bigsteel
i learned no matter what river im on in oregon, im home.
I learned not all of the willamette river is a sewer.
I learned how to swing flies a lot better
i got to see all my fishing buddies and met some new ones!!!!!!

Reactions: Moosebonsai
E
eggs
I learned some:

I still don't like carp
3wt fly rods for trout ruins fishing with a 5wt
Tying flies take fly fishing to a new level
Learned the way of the long rod like OTF
Steelhead on a fly almost makes you poop yourself on every take
The more beer the more fun
Good friends on a river or lake in bad conditions is better than sitting at home
Being on shore under a tree in a hail storm beats being in a boat in the middle of a river in a hail storm
Fishing addiction is something I never want to kick

Last edited:
Reactions: lilsalmon
brandon4455
brandon4455
i learned how to fly fish way better,

learned how to properly nymph and swing soft hackles

learned how to troll and cast buggers for trout (thanks jim)

learned nail knots and learned some new holding water

learned peacock stimulators otufish royal stimulators :lol:\

learned how to tie flies

also learned that a deschutes redside and a 4wt rod go great together

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
I learned to catch cutthroat on the fly
that camping, fly fishing, and drinkin beer with other members of OFF are all fun. Much more fun all at the same time though :)
Learned how to make a reel.
Learned that even kidney stones wont keep me from fishing
Learned that yes, campfire jokes stay at the campfire lol
Learned how to read water
Learned how to catch trout on the North Santiam.
Learned that its not a good idea to try and hill climb out of minto carrying way to much gear. :(

Irishrover
Irishrover
#1 Texas sucks in the summer during the second year of a drought!

#2 Learned this one over...Oregon is a great place to fish. Like Dorothy said there is no place like home.

#3 Fishing Harriet in January is cold, but a heater in the drift boat helps.

#4 Being on shore under a tree in a hail storm beats being in a boat in the middle of a river in a hail storm especially if your you are one of the guys in the boat in the middle of the river.

#5 Fishing pals and nights by the campfire are priceless.

A
alm21
Never ever, ever quit!
Don’t paint yourself into a corner by fishing only one place or one technique, or worse yet, both (unless you’re killing it).
Less is more.
I don’t want to cross the Sandy when it’s any higher than 8’ 9”
Even though fishing away from the crowds is pleasant, be prepared for what can be a slow day.
Get out and explore new-to-you waters.
Fly fishing is cool but I have no idea what I’m doing.
Dare to be bold.
You don't need a Lamiglas to fish with confidence.
Confidence matters.
Pick fishing mates that are as addicted (or not) as you otherwise it can be a really long day.
I have a serious obsessive compulsive fishing disorder.

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
Salmon Bobber fishing is still as boring as it was the last time I tried to do it.....

B
Berg03
I learned how to fly fish (thanks brandon)
Met great people.
Learned how to "roll cast" its in " " because im not that great at it. lol.
Small streams can hold big fish.
Bobber fishing on a fly pole.
Ultralight pole and 2lb trout = great fun :)
Always bring a camera of some sort.
Dont have you phone in you outside pocket of your waders as you might fall in and ruin it :)

S
skunk
Fish ALL the water, fish can be anywhere.

O
OnTheFly
Never enter a forum debate while drunk posting.

G
GDBrown
Irishrover said:

#2 Learned this one over...Oregon is a great place to fish. Like Dorothy said there is no place like home.

#3 Fishing Harriet in January is cold, but a heater in the drift boat helps.

#4 Being on shore under a tree in a hail storm beats being in a boat in the middle of a river in a hail storm especially if your you are one of the guys in the boat in the middle of the river.

That I resemble this remark! :lol:

It was still a lot of fun.

I learned that taking time OFF from fishing to let your body heal is not worth the time OFF.

I learned that the Owyhee river is a great place to catch Brown's on a fly, even if it is on the other side of the state. (I was driving by anyway so why not)

I learned that being in a drift boat on the lake is better than being in a float tube. (At least I can control the boat.)

I learned that I have more friends than I thought. I just need to sleep farther from the campfire. :lol:

I learned today that I need to make sure the doors of the truck are locked when I go down to the river so my stuff is safe! (lost $300+ worth of electronics today)

I learned that my drag needs to be tighter when that 30# nook heads down river like today! (50 yards in 3 seconds!)

Yes Harriet in January is very cold so leave the water when the sun goes behind the hill.

I learned that I'm addicted to: #1. Fishing, #2. Fishing with friends, #3. The OFF web site.

Reactions: eggs
C
colbypearson
I learned no matter how much I beef up my tackle and refine my approach these giant Oregon bass will find a way to elude me, break me off or lead to equipment failure. Every year they change. Other than that I learned tons of stuff, I have mostly been studying behaviors of giant bass like the angle at witch they eat, the types of scenario's they seek to eat, Where they go depending on the weather and how it changes year round & day to day. Up until this year it was more of a trial and error activity where I would learn from experiences, it still is but this year i took a scientific approach to figure out what these big bass do, where, why, when and how. Definitely safe to say I have a lot to learn but I feel that this year I truly became not only a better angler but much better at fishing for trophy class fish, learning about bass behavior seemingly will benefit me in all types of fishing, This year so far especially as of late has been frustrating I have been hooking giant bass and losing them to reasons i cannot control, I learned that luck is as much a factor as it always has been and sometimes you just need it playing in your favor to accomplish your goals, dreams etc.. Next year maybe I can catch the state record, this year I found where she lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaverfan and eggs
N
Ntofishing
I learned this year...

1. Ice fishing is quite fun

2. Kastmasters can be used as jigs to good success.

3. Going back to childhood waters with more experience is very rewarding.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Irishrover said:

hey lon... BLUEGILL :lol:

L
lilsalmon
I learned:

#1~Make sure everyone KNOWS whats said at the campfire stays at the campfire.
#2~I now understand swinging soft hackle and the reason a 45 degree cast is best....:D
#3~If your one of the ones stuck in the middle of a river in a hail storm....pull up the hood and enjoy the ride.
#4~Even though the bank is clear, it is still dangerous.
#5~Always put your tent furthest from the fire....:dance:
#6~Trout on a dry fly is the ultimate rush.
#7~Steel like trout flies.
#8~The nail knot is easy to tie once you know to swing the little doo-hickey out.:redface:
#9~Fishing is a sickness....but an enjoyable sickness.
#10~I have the bestest ever fishing buddy.

Reactions: eggs
K
Kais
DON'T LOSE YOUR WALLET WITH YOUR FISHING LICENSE IN IT!!!!!!!!
thats what i learned.

brandon4455
brandon4455
also learned that OnTheFly is fun to fight on a fly rod in a parking lot :lol:

learned how to mend line correctly (thanks bigsteel)

learned deschutes steelhead (or huge redbands) and 5x tippet dont match

learned that ava goes potty when she gets too excited.. yikes :lol:

learned unopened soda lodged under a burning log =shotgun blast

learned OFF getogethers are the best and ican't wait to do another! i learned so much stuff this year i can't even remember all of em..

C_Run
C_Run
I learned too much to write it all down. A few highlights of 2011....

1. Learned about spoons and had moderate success with them last winter.

2. Palomar knot

3. Learned basics of trolling for salmon

4. Learned some great new locations to fish (not tellin')

5. learned where to go for information...OFF, duh.

H
hookbait
1. How to make spinners.
2. How to prepare and eat crawfish.
3. That crabbing is a great way to kill a morning.
4. I don't have the hang of catching trout in flat water with spinners.
5. In late Aug early Sep when the waters warm, even if you can see the trout in the pools, it's better just to swim with your daughter. At least if you're only armed with spinners. Next year will be flys.
6. Even doing everything wrong you can catch a fish, so don't freak out about tackel/technique/etc.
7. Seeing a cut take my dry fly is about the closest thing to crack I hope to ever encounter.

Forgot one,
8. Spending 4 hours chasing crawdads with my daughter and only finding 8 is time well spent. And it's worth it to share 8 crawdads with your girl.

Last edited: